Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kris

Primer Question

6 posts in this topic

I've been using a fast drying Lacquer white primer and have started having a hard time getting it. Been using Plasti-Kote Sandable Primer White. Usually would get it at Michael's. They have stopped carrying it.

What do you use for a primer?

Brand?

Color? (White or Gray)

Other? (Using something different maybe)

I use "Rust-Oleum Painters Touch 2x cover" white primer when I use primer. Actually I don't use primer a lot of the time, I just sand the sealer smooth and paint. I cover my lures with 3-4 coats of epoxy though but maybe you would have some problems if you were using a thinner topcoat.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Need to add that I spray a coat of primer on blank baits and when re-painting store bought baits.

Do blank baits need primer? Or could you just base coat with something like Superhide White?

I just shoot'em with Superhide White. The only time I use a primer is on raw wood.

BobP,

You shooting the water-based or lacquer version of the Superhide White?

Do see any problem with the Superhide White sticking / adhering to the plastic of a blank bait?

I use water based Superhide. It has better adhesion than other acrylic paints and I've never had a problem with it sticking to plastic baits. Covers well, too.