out2llunge

Weighting Jerkbaits

Traditionally I make crankbaits, but wanted to venture into jerkbaits. Been working on developing some new jerkbaits and I want to consider variations in weighting. I want to mimic the bait designs Amma Bamas, Hughes Rivers, etc. from the West Virginia bait makers.

I'm pretty happy with the body shapes I've made. I am going to experiment, but intelligent experimenting gives an added headstart.

Here are my assumptions:

1. Less/no weight in the belly.

2. More weight in the "throat" area and less weight in the "tail". It's a shad body type with a smaller tail and more wood towards the "head".

3. More weight in the "throat" area and some weight towards the back of the "belly"

4. Something else?

Any advice on weight placement to achieve a good glide with belly roll and flash???

All help appreciated.

Out2llunge,

I have been making some jerkbaits in the last couple of weeks too. I chose two different body styles, one similar to the pointer and another like a bait the Yozuri makes, both are your basic minnow shape tho. I have been weighting them at the balance point at the center of the body because this is where the lure seems to have the most action to it. I also like the way the bait sits level when at rest which should give it a very good profile from underneath. I might add tho that the pointer I have sits head down and the yozuri sits flat.

jed

Hi Out2llunge:

I also am experimenting with gliders. I'm currently working on 6" and 8"Phantoms and 10" Mantas. As for lead placement I'd go with option #2, more weight in the throat and less in the tail. What I am trying to achieve is a bait that sinks slowly and perfectly horizontal.

Go to Lurebuilding 101 and check out the plans for the Divani glider, a lure that resembles the HR Shaker. It gives detailed intructions for the weight placement.

I've been using maple for my baits. I've read on the Amma Bamma website that their baits are made of Lynn wood which is similar to basswood. What type of wood are you using for your gliders? Would cedar be a good substitute for basswood?

Marc

Hi MM,

I use cedar and maple, but will try anything because you only need small pieces. Cedar is more buoyant than basswood. Cedar is also less dense. I read that Lynwood and Basswood are the same thing, but I have not read this in a botany book, just word of mouth. I'll try Divani's site for the plans.

Thanks!