finlander

Rotissiere Motor's Fluctuations...

I was wondering if others using said motor ever see theirs stop for abit, then start turning again. And mine turns a larger rack that speeds up on the downward cycle, like at 3 to 6 pm, then has that lag, like it is waiting for the motor to catch up. Eventually I will have the rack on pillow bearings, and the motor will power that. Right now, the motor is supporting the square stock on that end. What are any options? Also, the last two lures have a build up of Etex right along the belly. Is this because of too much Etex? Should I be more careful brushing it on, so there is even amounts all over? Tumbling lures is meant to keep the epoxy from settling in one spot. Is my buildup the result of the hiccup in the motor, or am I unknowingly putting too much epoxy in that belly area at the start? Thanks for any input, Bruce.

Rotisserie motors turn slowly and Etex is pretty low viscosity when first applied, so yeah it's possible if you aren't being particular about how you brush it on the lure or the rotation has a hesitation. One thing that may help is letting the Etex rest for 10 or 12 minutes after mixing before you brush it on. BTW, if you motor hesitates now, it will probably hesitate regardless of the support system used.

I'm using a rotisserie motor as well... I'm using the metal rod it came with and there is a bit of slop... this causes the rack assembly to slightly "drop/rotate" when the heavy part is at abut 2'oclock and then stall a bit until the motor catches up to it.... I could probably put a bit of tape around the rod, and it would sit snug and rotate just fine... is yours doing the same?

J.

The fluctuations you describe sounds like improper weight distribution.

Example, even if you put only one bait on your wheel, you should add another one on the opposing side to redistribute the weight. (doesnt have to be another bait, anything with approximately equal weight)

Your motor will thank you for it.

Slop in the connections (and in the motors gearing) will exaggerate when weight is improperly distributed.

Thanks for all the replies. Right now there is only one lure on it, but it rushes on the down side, even when the lure is on the other side, going on the up. I will go try it w/o the lure on it to see what it wants to do. I set one up like Kingfisher had done of Talonz Baits.....fish-all lures. He does many at a time as he sells them. I'll check it out. Methinks it has done this from day one.

Does your motor have a set of gears? If so, it sounds like there is a bit of slack between the teeth of the gears. This is known as "backlash". If you will spread the fingers of each hand and then place them together like a set of gears meshing you will see what I'm talking about. The closer they are together the less space there is between the "teeth" and the farther apart they are the more space or "backlash" there is. I doubt there is a way to solve this on a self-contained motor/gearbox.

[There is some play inside the motor, because the frame did the same w/o the lure rack on it. I wonder if it is common to this mfg'r and I should look to another brand.

It's pretty common to most rotisserie motors in general. Could you snap a picture to share? a view down the axis would help to see if the frame is off center.

If anything is off-center, its gonna behave that way.

I turn E-tex at 1 rpm with a rotisserie motor all the time without problems. The key is as Jerry said, keep your weight balanced, and that means your turner itself, and whatever you're turning. It sounds as though you're getting a bit too much E-tex on your bait also---if you think that maybe you are, then you probably are. I also do as BobP suggested, and wait about 10 minutes after mixing, before application, giving E-tex a chance to thicken a little. A little slop in your turner is common, but keeping it balanced should minimize it.

Dean

I mix the Etex for about 2 minutes, never timed however, and then let it sit. I use those little measuring cups you find on Pepto bottles. Last coat I mixed up too litttle and it looks bad. When I forst started making lures, questions abounded. One fellow coated his and then hung it for a few minutes by the tow eye, then hung it by the rear screw eye, etc til it stopped dripping. Since I go into the shop after I get home from work, this would cut into my beauty sleep. Still makes me think if this would help distribute the epoxy more evenly, before I put it on the rotissiere rack. ??? I got a reply from Kingfisher and he agreed in that every motor has that play. He gets great coatings from what i have seen, so it must be something in my application. But it is even on both sides of the belly, looks like an old submarine....

Just for the hay of it...could theepoxy have anything to do with it? It sat half empty for almost a year. About a week ago, the clear half started to thicken in the bottom. I stirred it up with a dowel. For awhile air bubbles hung in the mix, but have since disipated. I have two unopened boxes sitting around. What is the shelf life on this product?? Opened or not.