miragestalker

Water Coming Out With Air On My Airbrush?

Why is water coming out of my airbrush despite my compressor having a moisture trap? Ive tried a little research online but I can't figure it out.

I am new to airbrushing and was just practicing. I'm getting the occasional water splatter. I can work around it by running the air ever so often, without paint, to clear the airbrush. But I don't think it should be like this.

Is there something I should do to the moisture trap?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

/bing

Edited by miragestalker

I am using Createx and water as thinner. I bought some Illustration Base to see if it helps.

My water seperator is at compressor with the regulator. I just realized that I moved my compressor on my table and the seperator is above my airbrush while at work. I am going to place it back on the floor to see if it helps.

After some research, it seems some guys experience this phenomenon too. They say an overheating compressor head will cause water to form in the hose. I am going to check on the head temps tomorrow. I also bought a recoil hose off the net that people say helps with the water issue, and the pulsating air as I don't have an air tank.

Thanks guys!

Edited by miragestalker

I have the same problem, but the splatter appears only after about half an hour of painting. I guess it's because the compressor heats up and so is the air and it condenses not only in the moisture trap but in the hose too.

Maybe a warmer room temperature could fix the problem. Placing the compressor on the floor don't think it will stop the water from getting to the airbrush as the air flows fast through the hose.

I think that you have nailed the problem ie water condensation due to compressor temperature.

Maybe a water trap mounted on or near your work bench/table, with a shorter (6') hose to your brush.

Dave

Just noticed RayburnGuy said the same thing, lol.

Edited by Vodkaman

Well, the next morning, I put the compressor down on the floor and started painting. Initially, I had water. But it went away and I sprayed fine. Its one of three things. Either having the compressor on the table allows water to flow to the AB instead of the moisture trap OR practicing overheated the compressor OR my garage is too cold at night for ABing.

Problem solved, for now :)

/bing

Have the same problem, anyway my compressor is very hot after 30-45 min sometimes less depending on how long I use the brush in that period. Also is losing air somewere and I can't find the spot, but I can tell because from 30 s to 30 s of non-usage it starts for 2-3 seconds to pump air to keep the pressure constant. Tried the soap mixed with water method (used for gas pipes joints) and yet I didn't figured it out :unsure: It will die pretty soon if I won't solve this :( but this is the price for buying low costs compressors I guess.

I think that mounting an water trap ain't such a good advice since you may overheat the compressor and not notice.