clemmy

Spincasting Size Limit?

Hello,

I came up with a saltwater jig design. While I could buy molds that would work from sc customs, I promised the Mrs. I wouldn't pour lead anywhere near the house. So I'm wondering if I have to outsource them, if it would be easier to go ahead and have them spincast, more inital expense (I'm Guessing) but cheaper with production due to less labor intensive (Again Guessing).

My question is that these would be jigs between 5-10 ounces or possibly more. Is this big doable in jig type spincasting?

Any other info would be appreciated!

Clemmy

Hello,

I came up with a saltwater jig design. While I could buy molds that would work from sc customs, I promised the Mrs. I wouldn't pour lead anywhere near the house. So I'm wondering if I have to outsource them, if it would be easier to go ahead and have them spincast, more inital expense (I'm Guessing) but cheaper with production due to less labor intensive (Again Guessing).

My question is that these would be jigs between 5-10 ounces or possibly more. Is this big doable in jig type spincasting?

Any other info would be appreciated!

Clemmy

Here are my thoughts.

I made some spincast molds for Bank Sinkers. I have 1 oz through 8 oz. On the bigger ones we just hand pour those. I have a 2 - 160 lb pots and it doen't take long to empty those pots spincasting or hand pouring. On the 8 oz spincast mold, this is doable, but thats a lot of lead/heat. Molds won't last forever. When I pour 8 oz sinkers, I have to let the mold spin for 50-60 seconds because the silicone does not get rid of heat. I could be wrong but I don't see a huge advantage to spincasting. This is a "wag"(wild a$% guess), but maybe 200-300 spins. Depending on the size of hooks, maybe 6 parts per mold per 12" spincast mold. Ballpark price on mold $300. I would think you would need 4 or 5 molds so you could try to keep the heat down and you wouldn't be able to demold when you take out of the machine, it would have to set for 20 seconds or so before demolding, then you would need to put another mold in and get it going. Waiting for 60 seconds while it spins you could load hooks in the mold.