snooterfish

Cost Of Pouring Baits

guys i have been concidering pouring my own baits but i read on another site where a guys says hes losing money when he sells the baits he pours such as worm's, chunk trailers and lizards at $.55 cents each :eek: . is it really that expensive. :popcorn:

He may not have done his homework and figured out how much it costs him p/bait. But at 55 cents a bait, he should be doing OK. Maybe he hasn't sold enough to make up for his initial investment.

I would say it is alot better pouring your own baits than buying them because I think it is cheaper and it is fun! It is awesome to make own bait and catch fish off it.

Aso i just looked it up and it is 10 hand poured worms for .60cents after initial investment of all the stuff biggrin.gif here is the link.

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/pouring_plastic.html

Edited by Capital Fishing Lures

The old calculation was about 600-800 6" worms per gallon of plastic.(m-f or Old Lurecraft had this formula and it was vary accurate) this varies on the thickness of the worm of course.

if your doing it for fun then who cares what it costs its a hobby, if your doing it for profit then you dont buy 1 gal at a time thinking your going to be the next Gary Yamamoto or zoom bait company.

hand pouring gives you the option of making colors that are not avail. make a bait softer or harder etc etc,

for figuring the cost dont add in molds, heating source, pouring pans etc etc, only the stuff you will be using to make the bait. Plastic glitter color salt scent etc etc.

just like when you build a addon to a house, you dont figure in the hammer or saw it takes cause you dont have one.

The old calculation was about 600-800 6" worms per gallon of plastic.(m-f or Old Lurecraft had this formula and it was vary accurate) this varies on the thickness of the worm of course.

if your doing it for fun then who cares what it costs its a hobby, if your doing it for profit then you dont buy 1 gal at a time thinking your going to be the next Gary Yamamoto or zoom bait company.

hand pouring gives you the option of making colors that are not avail. make a bait softer or harder etc etc,

for figuring the cost dont add in molds, heating source, pouring pans etc etc, only the stuff you will be using to make the bait. Plastic glitter color salt scent etc etc.

just like when you build a addon to a house, you dont figure in the hammer or saw it takes cause you dont have one.

I would have to say if your selling baits you should be buying in 5gal + increments. That will cut the costs WAY down.

I would have to say if your selling baits you should be buying in 5gal + increments. That will cut the costs WAY down.

This all depends on what you are doing. If you are just pouring for personal use then its pretty much a hobby and I wouldn't expect you to have a lot of overhead like many molds and large quantities of supplies. If you used a silicone mold it would be even cheaper for you and the cost wouldn't be much at all. Like everyone else says" There's nothing better than catching a fish off of your own baits". If your trying to sell I would say buy the plastic in the 55 gallon drum style because that is the largest price break and get a lot of molds. You will be in the red for a awhile but if you stick with it you'll end up in the black again. If you design your own baits there's more cost there in the design and to have a custom mold made is pretty pricey. I will say that if you catch a lot of fish on a bait you designed it makes it all worth it. Don't show to many people though because there will be others to follow suit soon. whatever you choose I guess if your catching fish and having fun you're already a winner there. Good luck

I agree. I would just add that I never hear anyone talk about the labor cost. Of course, this just relates to those trying to sell, not hobbyists.

All products have a cost of labor. You have to add that in to really give a fair cost per unit, without it, you are not truely estimating your total costs. Even if it is just $5/hour...

Jim

One thing I have never seen nor so far able to figure exactly is ... the cost of Electrictiry to complete the process (would need a seperate meter).

Any one figured out this cost ??? I would think that you could take the ratings given for the .. example a Prest Poto ... and of course a stirring motor and roughly figure the use.

Just a few thoughts

JSC

Edited by JSC

I think it is safe to say that there are other costs beyond just the plastisol, colorant, bag, label, flake (plus salt in some cases) etc. Paypal or cc processing fees is another "hidden" but substantial cost.

It is hard to put a number to some of the costs but I think you must add them in with at least an arbitrary number you assign or a set % to the cost for these other expenses.

Otherwise, your "profit" is suspect and you are doing fuzzy math like the government does.... LOL!!!

Jim

This is a good thread to ask this question regarding cost and pricing, I guess. I am between the professional producer and the givie it away guy. I have people asking for some of my stuff, I do not want to go broke giving it away yet I am by no means in business for a profit nor am I going to waste my precious time filling too many of these orders and requests.

Isn't this the fate of many of the folks here and I suspect some got the idea to go pro from experiences like this.

I never intended to make this a business nor an ebay hobby to sell these things. But now I got a dilema.

I have a lure, yes I Frankensteined up some others to better meet the idea of what the finished product should be and it worked. Word got out among aquaintenances that this is a magic fish catcher. It ain't magic, it does work, catches fish when nothing else would but likely it only addressed a local condition but that's ok it is only us locals who want it. It is unique in color, shape and action and I have people wanting to buy some from me.

How does one price this to be fair. I will never make a profit and lord knows how much it costs. It is a hobby and I enjoy making them and catching fish on them. I don't enjoy giving away money by just giving these baits away; one or two here and there is ok but not a summer supply. Professionally these folks could never afford my time, neither can I for that matter.

So how does a hobbyiest price out the soft plastics that the neighbors all want? Should I just figure the cost of the material and let it go at that or add a little margin to help buy my next gallon of plastic? Do I compare it to Wal-Mart's rack?

I am calling on the experience of the "been there did that group" TU is so fortunate to have.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

JSC,

I once saw a device that plugged in between the appliance and the wall socket and measures the amount of electricity used. Then you would multiply that by your rate and get the cost. I don't remember what it was called, but they do exist. Maybe your power company might have some info.

Thanx BD .. I will look into it .. if I see how much it is mite mess up my mind !!!

Would be an interesting thing to check out.

JSC

Back to the electricity end of it..........I can safely say my electric bill is 1/5 of what it was when I poured. Some of you newer guys definitely need to consider that when calculating your costs!

Als,

so your saying you are saving 4/5. or ( your electric bill is 80% less when not pouring ??? )

every 1/5 would be 20%.

Jeff

ok guys here is how i figure out my pricing for soft plastics. i base my selling price by the gallon not by the bait . so here is a breakdown of a selling price for 4" senkos .

1 gallon of plastic = 400 4" stixs (actully i get a about 420 per gallon)

400 stixs @ 10 per bag = 40 bags per gallon of plastic

1 gallon of plastic = 23.54 (i buy by 5 gallon @ 110.00 plus 7% tax = 117.70, i live close to lurecraft so i drive there and dont have to pay shipping)

2 oz of glitter per gallon = 3.75 (this is way over estamated its more like about 1/3 that amount )

1 oz of coloring per gallon = 3.35 (based off of 2 oz will color i gallon solid and most of my colors are tranlucent when i pour)

1 pint of softner per gallon = 9.00

2 quarts of salt per gallon = 0.50 (i buy non iodized salt )

40 bags = 2.00 ( 4 mil bags )

40 labels = 1.20 (this includes ink from printer )

ok this gives me a total of 43.34 per gallon to make 40 bags of 4" stix which breaks down to $1.08 per bag to make.

i sell to 2 stores, my price to them is 2.85 per bag which gives me a $1.77 profit = 164% mark-up

i sugjest to my stores to mark thier price up 50 - 70% = they sell my baits for 4.72 - 4.99 per bag (still way under 7$ a bag for yamamoto)

i also wont compete with my stores when selling ( they know this as well ) so when i sell to an individual my selling price now becomes 5.00 per bag which = $3.92 profit or 363% mark-up (still under 7$ a bag for yammies)

breaking that down i have 43.34 invested into 1 gallon of plastic and sold it for $114.00 = 163% mark-up (70.66 profit)

i can average about 100 stixs poured per hour with my current set up (im not very fast) = 4 hours to pour 1 gallon

bagging and labeling and printing = 1 hour

now i did not include scent (which roughly figures out to about 1$ per gallon ) nor did i figure out how much electricity i use to make the baits and also i did not figure out my labor or my gas to go get materials (3 to 4 times per year), drop off baits to stores. i will figure it out like this, my electric bill averaged about 85 to 90$ per month before i started this hobby, i pour about 3 times a week and my electric bill now averages about 100 to 105 per month ( i blame this on the microwave, radio and the exhaust fan) now take 70.66 minus 20$ for electric minus 1$ for scent minus another 20$ for gas and that leaves $29.66 per gallon divided by 5 hours of labor = $5.92 per hour

i average about 5 gallons per month pouring, my electric bill jumped only 20$ per month max so i over estimated that and also it only takes about 1/4 tank of gas to go to lurecraft and back home ($8 per trip x 4 = 32$ per year). i check my stores inventory 1 time per month which takes another 1/4 tank of gas per round trip ($8 x 12 = $96 per year) so lets stay with that 29.66 per gallon profit and times that by 5 gallons per month = 148.30 per month

the prices change acording to what bait i pour as i have used this formula for all the baits i pour, some baits are more and some are less but stix are probly my biggest seller so i used this one for example..

now before some you guys rip my post to shreads on what i didnt figure in on my price or what i under estimated or any spelling errors i will answer some of my own questions for you....

1. why did i get into this hobby? cause i wanted to make my favorite baits in colors that are discontinued and also so i had a fishing hobby during the winter when i couldnt go cause of the ice ( i dont ice fish)

2. am i going to be the next yamamoto or zoom? NO, i dont have a few extra million dollars to invest to compete at that volume level plus it no longer would become a hobby and it would become my day job

3. am i going to get rich with this hobby? NO, see quetion #2 for details

4. does this hobby pay my bills? NO, that is what my day job is for

5. when i sell baits do i take out a percentage of the profit to cover my gas and electric and labor? NOPE , all the money i make from the baits i sell usally goes into dels, bobs, lurecrafts or somebody from ebays pocket.

6. is my wife happy that i buy molds and plastic supplies from the money i get from selling baits rather than our checking account? YES

7. how many bags of yamamoto, zoom or any other soft plastic company have i bought this year? 1 , 2 weeks ago i bought a bag of 3" rage tail craws(9 in a pack) from bass pro shops for 6.99

8. how many 3" rage tail craws do i have today? thanks to the mold making tips and advice from guys that post on here i now have a few hundred in my favorite colors :D

9. how many more bags of 3" rage tail craws will i buy in the future? NONE

10. do i sell 3" rage tail craws? NOPE personal use only

11. where did i learn how to pour and make molds? TU, its all here you just have to take the time and read and you will find what your looking for.

12. would i recomend this hobby ? YES for a hobby its great

13. would i recomend this hobby as a business? NOT REALLY, unless you would be able to invest in injection machines where you could mass produce, in my opinion i would think the only way to really make money at this would be in volume.

14. do i have fun and enjoy my hobby of pouring my baits? YES VERY MUCH

SNOOTERFISH, i am by no means an expert on here, as there are some really talented guys on here (check the gallery) and have been pouring way longer and have way more experiance than i do.

my advice to you is that if you are wanting to try this out buy a starter kit from del-mart , bears , or lurecraft. as far as what starter mold, color or glitter you should start out with should be your own decision. buy molds of baits you like to use and buy colors and glitter that you like as well.

pouring your own baits and catching fish on them is a great reward for your hobby and after you learn the ropes of pouring you can take the next step and sell some of you work and hopefully pay for some or maybe all of your hobby. but....if your thinking of getting into this hobby for the sole reason of becoming the next yamamoto or zoom then skip the starter kit and call up zorn molds and order a bunch of injection machines, buy a building, hire workers, sales reps, sponsor a pro fisherman, hire lawyers,accountants, get incorperated...im not saying that a small guy cant make it to the big time in the fishing industry, im saying that in order to get that big you need to have to have alot of money to compete at that level.

if you dont belive me then your next post should ask the question " how many guys on here pour baits as thier only souce of income?" i only know of 2 on here out of over 11 thousand members (im sure there is more ) and i would be willing to bet its less than 1% (100 members).

so if you want to have great hobby and have fun i say you go for it ,after you build up your supplies (colors, glitters, molds, ect, ect) your cost will go way down on making baits. plan on spending about 500$ in the first few months buying supplies then after that the cost is really down to buying molds and plastic. so read the forum, ask questions, learn all you can and enjoy yourself. these guys are the best at what they do and will help you learn faster and save alot of time and money on trial and error.

have fun

brett

Als,

so your saying you are saving 4/5. or ( your electric bill is 80% less when not pouring ??? )

every 1/5 would be 20%.

Jeff

That's exactly right, Jeff. My electric bill was through the roof when I poured! I had burners, hot plates, lights, and an exhaust fan going 3 to 5 hours per night, and an average of 15 hours on the weekend. Not to mention I had an automatic mixer that was set to mix my 5-gallon buckets for 15 minutes every 3 hours. There are times when I miss pouring, but I'll NEVER miss my electric bills!!

i started as a hobby. then i started to sell l them. did ok got some nice orders the first year. now i could care less if i sell them. i just love fishing with my own stuff. have not bought a store bought bait in 3 years. i have around a 125 molds so i am mold pour. if friends want a certian bait and i don`t have the mold i make them buy it and the plastic. i have a few of dels molds i made my buddys buy coming. i also make them buy at least 2 molds because i tell can make them faster with more molds. :D:D

i started as a hobby. then i started to sell l them. did ok got some nice orders the first year. now i could care less if i sell them. i just love fishing with my own stuff. have not bought a store bought bait in 3 years. i have around a 125 molds so i am mold pour. if friends want a certian bait and i don`t have the mold i make them buy it and the plastic. i have a few of dels molds i made my buddys buy coming. i also make them buy at least 2 molds because i tell can make them faster with more molds. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

haha Thats funny! good way to get more moldssmile.gif

Edited by Capital Fishing Lures

Don't forget about your 10% excize tax, the gov. wont. If your just selling to your buddies for cash you wont have to worry about that.

You have to balance a certain amount of cash sales to retail sales ;) I'm sure most of us do it to increase profit margins . We have been pouring for almost 10 years now and have had a shop built to accomdate the expansions in business. I will keep doing this until I no longer enjoy it.