snooterfish

Cost Of Pouring Baits

You have to balance a certain amount of cash sales to retail sales ;) I'm sure most of us do it to increase profit margins . We have been pouring for almost 10 years now and have had a shop built to accomdate the expansions in business. I will keep doing this until I no longer enjoy it.

Brett,

That was the best, most informative post I have ever seen on here about the costs of pouring. Thanks.

kevtherev

I just did my own cost analysis that is pretty much the same as empire's.

Even with a generous over-estimation for glitter, coloring, electricity, and salt, as a hobbyist buying 5 gallons of plastic, AND a low estimation of production per gallon of plastic, I'm sure I can make a bag of 10 stick baits for under $2.

As a hobbyist who might sell some on ebay to fund hand pouring, I think that this provides plenty of room for 100% markup to cover extraneous expenses and provide a bit of profit to put back into pouring for myself to fish with, plus the satisfaction of people catching fish on lures I made with my own two hands :D

To the OP I don't see how someone is spending $0.50 or more pouring a single stick bait, unless they're buying plastic in 1 pint amounts.

I'm sure I can make a bag of 10 stick baits for under $2.

As a hobbyist who might sell some on ebay to fund hand pouring, I think that this provides plenty of room for 100% markup to cover extraneous expenses and provide a bit of profit to put back into pouring for myself to fish with, plus the satisfaction of people catching fish on lures I made with my own two hands :D

Lets see 100% markup would be $4 for 10 baits plus $3 shipping (first class) figure in losing a buck (or more) for paypal and ebay fee's so add another $1.

Your selling 10 sticks for $8..... and you think you could sell against people selling 25 for $9, or 50 for $16? When people go to ebay they are looking for cheap lures.

Lets see 100% markup would be $4 for 10 baits plus $3 shipping (first class) figure in losing a buck (or more) for paypal and ebay fee's so add another $1.

Your selling 10 sticks for $8..... and you think you could sell against people selling 25 for $9, or 50 for $16? When people go to ebay they are looking for cheap lures.

You know I forgot to account for shipping on both ends. That certainly gets pricey. My guess is that it probably would put my costs up another 25-50% shipping something as heavy as gallons of soft plastic. Also, are ebay/paypal fees really as high as 20% once you sell an item?

You know I forgot to account for shipping on both ends. That certainly gets pricey. My guess is that it probably would put my costs up another 25-50% shipping something as heavy as gallons of soft plastic. Also, are ebay/paypal fees really as high as 20% once you sell an item?

Good point if you're talking about your supplies being shipped to you. Plastisol is VERY expensive to ship! However, if you're shipping your end product out, the customer should always pay for that. As for Ebay/Paypal fees, it's been quite awhile since I've dealt with either, but it was typically 5 to 7 percent a few years ago.

Good point if you're talking about your supplies being shipped to you. Plastisol is VERY expensive to ship! However, if you're shipping your end product out, the customer should always pay for that. As for Ebay/Paypal fees, it's been quite awhile since I've dealt with either, but it was typically 5 to 7 percent a few years ago.