Net Man

Jointed Baits

I have only done a few jointed baits but what I did was open up a paper clip, bend a 90+ deg on each end, then bend it in a V so that the 90 deg angles are slightly longer than the hook spacing. Then bend it a tick to get it in the hook holes and let it spirng back. I dont think this will work on longer baits though.

How do you guys clear jointed baits with D2T and turn them. The baits wants to flop so how do you keep it straight.

I place a bent wire or paper clip in the rear hook hanger and the line tie at the nose of bait. To the other end of the clips or wires I attach swivels and strong rubber bands or a springs to the other end of the swivels. Attach the springs or rubber bands to cup hooks screwed into a frame made of 2x4's. this allows you to turn the lure by hand while painting and clear coating. My drying wheel has clips that I clamp on one wire and stretch the other rubber band over the other clip which gives enough tension to keep the lure straight and the joints seperated. I hope this makes sense.

John

@ Net Man

I don't utilise a rotator , as my epoxy top coat sets pretty fast ,.... only have to switch the lures round for a few times before it starts to set .

For topcoating jointed lures I would utilize a rectangular wood dowel approx. 15mm X 40mm , that is longer than the lure and has a larger and longer open wallhanger eye screw mounted 90° offset on either end into the narrower side of the dowel .

One could take rubber-O-rings to fix the lure inbetween the two eyescrews , but it is more firm and rigid to take thin nylon cord(the type for kite flying) and make two smaller knotted loops , .........poke these through the lure's attachment eyes on either end and slide over the open eye screws .

To finally fix the lure for painting/topcoating , I'd put a piece of thicker , rigid wire into one cord loop and twist up the cord to put pull tension onto the jointed lure , after it would sit real firm this way , I would bend the wire piece to proper shape to bind with the eyescrew next of it , ..........the tension of the twisted cord will keep it in place .

The wood dowel has to be kept rather narrow to have easier access with a paint brush to every portion of the lure .

To prevent this jig from falling to the side(not very stable stand on the narrow dowel) whilst working , I'd fix one or two spring loaded clambs onto it to act as a stand , this way it sits stable on the workbench , no matter whether vertically or horizontally .

greetz , diemai :yay:

Edited by diemai