BigBaitkid

What Size Lexan Lip?

IMO, it depends on several things. I've made a few 5" swimbaits. If it is segmented, the lip can be smaller because it only has to 'drive' the first segment to make it swim. But there has to enough lip for that first segment, which depends on its weight. You also have to decide what kind of swimbait it will be - wakebait or shallow diver. That will determine what lip angle you want; maybe 85 degrees from horizontal for a wakebait, maybe 45 degrees down for a shallow diver. Wakebait lips generally don't require as much surface area as a shallow diver because they catch more water while running at a steeper angle. So, bottom line, there are a lot of variables. But to simplify the process, I'd start out with a lip about 1 inch long and just slightly narrower than the bait's body. If it doesn't give you the action you want, shorten it in 1/8" steps with tin snips while you're testing it on the water. When you get what you want, dress it up with a Dremel sanding drum and you'll be set.

IMO, it depends on several things. I've made a few 5" swimbaits. If it is segmented, the lip can be smaller because it only has to 'drive' the first segment to make it swim. But there has to enough lip for that first segment, which depends on its weight. You also have to decide what kind of swimbait it will be - wakebait or shallow diver. That will determine what lip angle you want; maybe 85 degrees from horizontal for a wakebait, maybe 45 degrees down for a shallow diver. Wakebait lips generally don't require as much surface area as a shallow diver because they catch more water while running at a steeper angle. So, bottom line, there are a lot of variables. But to simplify the process, I'd start out with a lip about 1 inch long and just slightly narrower than the bait's body. If it doesn't give you the action you want, shorten it in 1/8" steps with tin snips while you're testing it on the water. When you get what you want, dress it up with a Dremel sanding drum and you'll be set.

thanks I was looking at making it a wakebait not a shallow diver. I'm almost done with it I just need to add screw eyes and a Lip then paint it I will post it up when I'm done all the help yoiu guys have gave has been very helpful. Thanks again.