Capital Fishing Lures

Question About Eyes

Im not sure what everyone else uses for eyes or if they just paint em on, but i use some plastic kind that you just stick and glue. Well I was woundering what everyone uses to put them on super glue? Or is there a better way to just paint them on?

Thanks, Hunter

I use the standard adhesive 3D eyes and just dip or paint the lure head with an epoxy to seal it and keep them on there.

The 3d stick-on eyes are cheap and look nice if the lure has eye sockets (good eyes are available from a TU board sponsor) but don't try to stick them on any surface that is not flat, and trying to glue them down on a curved surface is usually a mess too. I paint the eyes in that circumstance and think they look just as good - sort of the traditional look. I use a Q-tip dipped in yellow or red acrylic paint, let it dry, then put on a smaller black dot for the pupil. I use Stamina.com eye dotters for the pupils (little plastic sticks with foam ends) but you can strip some of the cotton off a Q-tip to make a smaller "dotter". If you goof, immediately roll a damp Q-tip over the mistake to remove it; just be careful not to lift the dried paint underneath.

The 3d stick-on eyes are cheap and look nice if the lure has eye sockets (good eyes are available from a TU board sponsor) but don't try to stick them on any surface that is not flat, and trying to glue them down on a curved surface is usually a mess too. I paint the eyes in that circumstance and think they look just as good - sort of the traditional look. I use a Q-tip dipped in yellow or red acrylic paint, let it dry, then put on a smaller black dot for the pupil. I use Stamina.com eye dotters for the pupils (little plastic sticks with foam ends) but you can strip some of the cotton off a Q-tip to make a smaller "dotter". If you goof, immediately roll a damp Q-tip over the mistake to remove it; just be careful not to lift the dried paint underneath.

man why didnt i ever think about that a Q-tip haha. Ya i use the 3-D eyes for all my lures or paint em on.

I made a few of my own 3D eyes and you might want to give it a try. I only made em because of the amount of lures i make, if your a high volume maker, then i would just buy em. None the less, its a fun project.

http://www.tackleund...wimage&img=5507

That looks like just a fun project to do i may just have to give it a try.

thanks for the help everyone

I'm pretty new to making lures, but for "flat" eyes, I've been playing with painting the eye on a paper/foil/etc, then using a standard hole punch to cut it out.... does pretty reasonable job. I then glue that down on the lure body. Advantages are if you mess the eye up, no big deal, make another your lure is untouched untill you glue it down. I'm restricted in size to the punch I have, and therefore about 1/4" diameter unless I go buy another, which there are plenty of out there.

Just a suggestion incase your a bit afraid/not super skilled/confident at painting... like me!!!

J.

I have found various methods for eyes but one of my newest finds is to take a .7mm sequin like the ladies sew on shirts and glue them on. You can find them in a variety of sizes and colors. Really puts the "flash" to a bait in my humble opinion. You can also paint the pupil on them as well. Seal just like with any other eye

another idea for painting the pupils, take a small nail that has a flat round head. put a drop of paint on it so it domes up. then turn the nail over and lightly place it on the bait careful not to let the nail touch the bait. and when it drys it drys flat and its a perfect circle! ;)

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.

If your reading it in English, thank a Veteran!

like everyone else on flat baits or ones that have indentations i'll use 3-D eyes (predator bass baits, their eyes look awesome), but on rounded surfaces i paint the eyes on using metallic and detail black paint. i usually use a pencil eraser or some other flat round thing (i've used a nail, paintbrush handle, etc) and dip it in paint and do what fivefish said for the main circle. then i paint on the other details with an artists brush.

some of my painted eyes:

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

100_5655.jpg