sdsaw

Cement, Concrete Or Brick Mortar To Make Lure Mold?

Have any of you tried using any of these materials to make a lead pouring lure mold?

In the past, I've had decent success using both POP and DWP to make a one piece, pour and dump out lure mold like this:

Freshleadjig.jpg

I've recently tried making a mold with fixed eyelets that are held in place and cast on each end.

The mold came out good but the DWP became soft and brittle when hot and chipped on the sides

Any type of prying or side load made it chip (that's my master that in the picture)

chippedmold.jpg

If you have tried concrete or brick mortar, did the heat seem to make it soft and chip?

Scott

I wouldn't use any masonry products to mold hot lead! Masonry products inherently retain a certain amount of the moisture they are mixed with to cast and will explode when exposed to high heat!

If you must try it, use a fireplace grade mortar... but it will have to cure for months before you can pour hot lead into it.

The majority of masonry products will shrink and crack when curing, which is another disadvantage for this application.

There other more suitable materials for making lead molds, like high temp resitant silicone...