hybrideye

A Few Questions From The Newbie!

Hello all! I am sure this has been brought up before and I am sorry if it is a redundant topic. I want to try my hand at making some hard baits. My main focus will be on 3"-7" jerkbaits, and shad bodied baits. I have a short list of questions about getting started......I have a scroll saw, and belt sander, and various small hand tools. I am asking for some specific or specialty tooling that some of the experienced guys use. Just a basic starter shop kit, I have a corner in my garage that needs cleaned and is perfect for my work station. Thanks for any tips and reccomendations in advance!

I do not have an airbrush so I know that is a given and I have been looking around so I will decide on which one to get when the time comes. My main focus will be to get everything I need to make the baits first.

I will try and use this thread as my progression continues, until, of course my first bait is finished. Then I will have to start a new one to show it off.....uh...yeah, I better just worry about trying to make it first!!!!

Dave

Edited by hybrideye

I use a scroll saw, a sander, and a Dremel. More power tools = faster, but fast is unimportant if it's a hobby. Any tool that helps you shape a more symmetrical bait safely is a good thing but baits are such small wood projects that you need good technique more than technology.

hybrideye- again sounds like you have all the gear to get you going, BUT also record all you do, weight, length, where you weighted it, lip angle and length etc etc - Also make some templates as you go, that way you can repeat the performance shape etc, even if your first one does not work, you will have a 'yardstick' and know what you had and where to start to rectify any faults, I spent years NOT doing this, and years trying to repeat that elusive 'magic lure action' and I'm still looking - good luck.pete

Hazmail makes a great point! The tools that improved my bait building the most were a notebook and a $25 digital scale for weighing bodies, hardware, lips and ballast weights. Believe it - after you make 4-5 baits, you won't remember how exactly you did bait #1. And if it's not written down, you won't be able to replicate a good bait or make a bait better the next time around. Building good crankbaits is a learning process. Just like school, taking notes is a good idea.

Great! I have the Dremel also, Thank you for the digital scale reccomendation! I can see where that will come in handy. You know, as I was drawing some designs out, I was wandering the same thing. How can I make each bait the same, the lip(s) I am almost certain are going to give me fits. I have been watching and reading some on what materials to use and how to tune them so we"ll see what happens. I will definitely try and keep as many notes as I can! Thanks again guys. Hopefully it won't be long before I can start getting stuff organized in the garage. First gotta get the pot belly flu hooked up so I got some heat......DANG IT'S COLD

My next question is can I start out with a solid block of wood instead of making the 2 sides? The problem is with attaching the treble's and the eye?

My next question is can I start out with a solid block of wood instead of making the 2 sides? The problem is with attaching the treble's and the eye?

You can start with a solid block. I can almost bet that you've thrown a lure that had eye screws too. In fact, few lures have a true thru-wire system. It is a very common practice for hobby builders, especially for those on this site, to use the thru-wire and 2piece wood method for balsa lures. The strength is unsurpassed of thru- wire, and I found it easier to shape a lure more symetrical (you have a nice center line as a result). However, thru-wire is far from necessary. Use good epoxy to set your eye screws and I doubt you will ever see any problems (unless your going after muskies). You'll quickly realize how cheaply made all the lures are in the stores once you get started.

Good Luck!

Oh yeah, I also support the digital scale and notebook thing... it my most used tool now!

ok, so I have had a few days to sit (just had the big V) on my rear and draw up some ideas for my first baits. I dont have the camera handy, but will post up some pics when I get it. I have decided to go with a 5" jerk bait design to start with, I haven't finalized the drawing just kinda messing with the shape.

One thing I am wandering is how crucial is the nose of the bait? I have mine drawn out with a rounded nose (like a Rdhorse) and was thinking the round nose will help with the flow of water around the bait, is it really that critical or is it just part of the puzzle?

I am searching my ass off on here and I can't wait to get going, but I tend to jump into things before being prepared so I will work on getting something built, the nice thing is my wife works in a place that has a pool so I will have access to a very nice test tank!!

Ok so I just put them all on one sheet of notebook paper so it's easier to see. I was thinking of making the final drawings on draft paper so I can actual make it to size, set all of teh radius', etc. does anyone else do this? I also have gotten an idea from a friend about layering the template on the computer to help with the form. We'll see what happens, looks good on paper I know, but making a functioning finished product is another.....unsure.gif

The jointed drawings will be tucked away in the drawer for now.....

3"to5"

Dec-09.jpg

7" Muskie/Hybrid

Dec-09124.jpg