KelpKritter

Paint And Resin Baits

Just about ready to fully assemble my new molded baits after some experimenting and trial and error I am getting close. As part of the learning curve I tried priming a couple pieces of the molded baits and ran into a problem. The first piece I tested the primer on had been demolded for about 48 hours and when I shot the primer, Krylon Fusion for plastics, it left a lot of fish eyes like something was wicking the paint away in small spots. I went back and did a few searches and proceeded to bake the next piece for about 8 hours in the oven after it had been out of the mold for nearly a week. The fish eyes were not as bad but still a few showed up. Do I need to bake the bait longer or let it sit longer before painting.

Any thoughts? I am looking forward to showing off the finished product and giving some feedback about the process but I am not quite there yet.

Thanks again,

DaveB.

KelpKritter

Just a thought here. Now that you are not using plastic try a primer designed for what you are using which is a type of urethane resin which is not a plastic. Plastics are produced with oil thus the problem when trying to paint. That is why the fusion type enamels were made. The resin now does not need that type of product. You should be able to go to an auto body supply store and get a real good primer that will stick and produce a nice base to start your paint job. If that is not an option try putting down two real light coats followed by one medium coat of your primer. Be sure to let it flash off in between coats. I do not think it is a cure thing. Could you post a close up pic of the bait maybe? Dupont makes some outstanding akrylic sealers in a spray can in three colors. Good quality under coats are a real pleasure to use. Kind of a random post it is late.