crash08

Paints For Plastics

I know this has probaly been discussed before, but here goes, just started airbrushing, I am trying to paint plastic bodies, but not sure what paint to try. Any suggestions would be greatly apprcieated... All the baits I have viewed so far look great, I can tell I have alot to learn.

Crash

Hey Crash,

Createx seems to be a popular paint for a lot of folks here. And not just for plastics. It's a water based paint that doesn't have the obnoxious fumes associated with solvent based paints and it's easy to clean up. I paint inside my house and those are the two main reasons I chose it. Most of the time I shoot it straight out of the bottle, but it's easily thinned with water if need be. Making sure your bait is clean and free from any oil is important. This is easily done by washing your bait in hot water and dish washing liquid. I had tried using denatured alcohol to clean my baits, but BobP told me about the hot water and dish washing liquid and it's a lot easier and does the job well. Keeping it clean until you top coat it is important as well. There are many different types of clear coats and you can read up on these by using the search function at the top of the page. There are almost as many different opinions about clear coats as there are clear coats themselves. You'll just have to figure out which one suits your needs and is easiest for you to apply. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure if your question is specific or generic, but in case Rayburn Guy didn't cover it all, here's a general overview. There are 2 basic options: water based acrylics or solvent based lacquers. Most of us choose acrylics because they work well and are non-toxic. Lacquer has some nice qualities and hues but if you use it, you need to use a rated face mask and/or a booth with proper exhaust and filters to protect yourself (airbrushes are great atomizers!). Both acrylic and lacquer require a durable topcoat of epoxy or polyurethane. Like RG says, Createx is popular and is the brand carried in most hobby shops. You can also buy paint from taxidermy sites, brands like Smith Wildlife, Van Dyke, or Polytranspar. I mix and match with no problems. Most guys like to improve the adhesion of acrylic paint on plastic before shooting. Light sanding works OK. An alternative is a chemical adhesion promoter spray like Bullseye.