Kris

Superhide White As Primer?

Can you use Polytranspar Superhide White in place of a primer? I currently am covering my baits w/ a white primer. Was wondering if I could just shoot Superhide White to cover the bait instead of a primer.

If so, does it matter if it is the water based or lacquer?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "primer". I waterproof with epoxy or propionate dissolved in acetone and then shoot a coat of Superhide White as a color basecoat. To me, primer means something that makes paint adhere. Sanding sealer prevents grain from rising on raw wood when it is hit with water based paint. Color basecoating is a coat of paint, often white, that serves as a base for later colors. Waterproofing is self-evident but it also can serve as a sanding sealer and a primer. You need an epoxy or solvent based coating on raw wood because water or alcohol based products will cause the wood grain to rise. It also doesn't hurt to have a second waterproof layer between wood and the water.

It shouldn't matter on a plastic bait. So far plastic baits are all I've painted and I lightly sand the bait to make the paint adhere. Lightly sanding with 300 or 400 grit gives the paint something to grab onto. I've been using plain old Createx, which is water based, for a base coat. And by base coat I mean the first coat of paint. Have had no problems with the paint sticking to the bait as long as it is kept clean and free of any type of oils.

I agree with Rayburn Guy. I just lightly sand plastic lures with 400 grit paper and shoot a white color basecoat of Superhide. I've not had any problem with the paint flaking off after topcoating with Dick Nite or epoxy. Some guys (I think Rookie for one) spray clean plastic bodies with Bullseye Adhesion Promoter instead of sanding. Others may use a media blasting booth instead of sanding in order to remove existing finish while preserving 3D detail on the bait. How you do it depends on whether the bait has existing finish and how buoyant the bait is. On floating baits, light sanding is OK even though you end up with a bait that is slightly heavier (usually only about .03 ounce on a bass bait) than the original. On suspending baits, you need to watch buoyancy to not end up with a sinking lure. On them, I want to get the original finish off and I want to topcoat the bait with Dick Nite or another finish that is similar in thickness to factory original.

Doug, Superhide white is Polytranspar acrylic paint meant for color basecoating. Like other "cover" paints, it contains lots of pigment to cover underlying wood grain or paint quickly. Superhide shoots well and dries quickly under a hair dryer to a hard semigloss. Several brands include a cover white paint in their line ups; Superhide is the best I've tried. You can do the same job with any white acrylic paint, but a cover white does it faster.

Doug, Superhide white is Polytranspar acrylic paint meant for color basecoating. Like other "cover" paints, it contains lots of pigment to cover underlying wood grain or paint quickly. Superhide shoots well and dries quickly under a hair dryer to a hard semigloss. Several brands include a cover white paint in their line ups; Superhide is the best I've tried. You can do the same job with any white acrylic paint, but a cover white does it faster.

Thanks, I always just use a white. And like you said it takes more, if the wood is dark. Where can I get some Superhide? Thanks Doug

Doug, go to WASCO.... click on Airbrush paints ... then click on Polytranspar paints .... look under Whites

Would a home center have this? By the time I order a bottle, and pay shipping, it's a little high. I have received baits that were covered with this, just didn't know what kind of paint it was. I do like the way it covers. Maybe just me, but I think it covers easier. Thanks Doug

No home center I know carries any airbrush paint. Hobby stores like Michael's and Hobby Lobby carry airbrush paint but the selection is usually pretty meager and the brand is usually only Createx. Like many, I went through the progression of using a large tip airbrush and cheap hobby acrylics like Apple Barrel, then switched to all airbrush paint when I moved to a smaller tip airbrush. I would have been happier sooner if I had just started with airbrush paint in the first place. Yeah, they are more expensive but they work much better. And a 4 oz bottle lasts a long long time.