Fish With Teeth

Mixing Etex By Weight ?

Does anyone mix Etex by weighing both parts? If so, does one ounce of resin weigh the same as one ounce of hardener? If not, what is the formula for mixing by weight? If you weigh it what type of scale do you use and where is a good place to buy the scale. I had some problems last year with one batch coming out soft. I am currently measuring in the clear plastic condiment cups like you find at a fast food restaurant. I set them side by side and pour what appears to be exact amounts in each one ,then dump them both in a larger mixing cup.

Edited by Fish With Teeth

The instructions say mix equal volumes and you do that. Weighing is not more accurate. IMO, small difference in volume are not the cause of most epoxy failures: lack of mixing is. When you mix epoxy, you are promoting a chemical reaction and need to get the parts together at the molecular level so they can interact. If there is a choice between mixing thoroughly and mixing to avoid bubbles, forget the bubbles and mix mix mix. That shouldn't be a problem with Etex, which has a rather long work time.

I have used those measuring cups like those on a Pepto bottle. I have found them at local medical supply store. Maybe 100 in a bag, around $5. Years back HobbyLobby carried them, but no longer. Also mentioned here in the past was to err with a bit more hardner as it will help set it, if one has been having problems with it not curing.

Edited by finlander

Just to be a smart mouth. In your original post you ask if an ounce of resin weighed the same as an ounce of hardener. The answer is yes. Just like a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead. I couldn't resist. Just like BobP said though your not supposed to mix according to weight it's volume. I just couldn't resist the smart answer though sorry. We knew what you meant. haha

Finlander, I never thought of using a double epoxy syringe after it's empty. I use 2 single syringes intended for epoxy or medical syringes. JMHO, cleaning a 5 min double epoxy syringe will be a pain in the neck. Besides, how can you suck equal amounts of resin and hardener up into it simultaneously? I recommend going to Janns Netcraft or wherever and ordering a set of syringes intended for rod building epoxy.

Just to be a smart mouth. In your original post you ask if an ounce of resin weighed the same as an ounce of hardener. The answer is yes. Just like a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead. I couldn't resist. Just like BobP said though your not supposed to mix according to weight it's volume. I just couldn't resist the smart answer though sorry. We knew what you meant. haha

Yeah, I should have said LIQUID ounce. A liquid ounce of oil does not weigh the same as a liquid ounce of water. I appreciate all of the helpful answers so far. I have picked up some good tips. But I still would like to know if the resin and the hardener weigh the same, and if not , what is the mix ratio. Thanks

Finlander, I never thought of using a double epoxy syringe after it's empty. I use 2 single syringes intended for epoxy or medical syringes. JMHO, cleaning a 5 min double epoxy syringe will be a pain in the neck. Besides, how can you suck equal amounts of resin and hardener up into it simultaneously? I recommend going to Janns Netcraft or wherever and ordering a set of syringes intended for rod building epoxy.

I think if you pull the plunger out of the back you could pour it in. I might give that a try.

Edited by Fish With Teeth

Yeah, I should have said LIQUID ounce. A liquid ounce of oil does not weigh the same as a liquid ounce of water. I appreciate all of the helpful answers so far. I have picked up some good tips. But I still would like to know if the resin and the hardener weigh the same, and if not , what is the mix ratio. Thanks

No the resin is denser and therefore heavier.