chirmy

Hi-lites

Hey Chirm,

Looks like I figured it out! Couldn't get logged on there to save my life :)

I guess you have found out by now that the hi-lite colors are a bunch of fun, but they can sometimes be a pain in the ... too :censored:

For some reason, I have trouble adding hi-lites to white and pearl colors. They just don't seem to take them well unless you use a bunch of hi-lite and a touch of white or pearl. Most colors will accept hi-lites well, with the exception of just a few. As for the orange and red, I mainly use those in light smoke patterns. It gives the bait a nice "irridescent" look, especially if you have a hi-lite/smoke back with a pearl belly, or a belly of your choice. The gold hi-lite MUST be used in small amounts. If you overdo it with the gold, everything will look GOLD! I like to use the gold in jet black; this gives the bait a nice "swirl/calico" effect. The same can be said for red; looks just like red shad, without having to make that extra pour.

I use the blue and green hi-lites the most. These are excellent for neon colors, especially with veins. Just add a touch of green hi-lite with green color, and a couple drops of black, and BAM!....you have a killer neon color :!:

Overall, hi-lites are something that you just have to experiment with. If you have some ideas, let me know. I might be able to tell you if it will work. I have messed with hi-lites so much that I sometimes see 'em in my sleep :D

You guys got me droolin 8O

I wanted to chime in your notice of hi lites not showing well on white & pearl color.... I've been playin around with the "chameleon" automotive paints for my hardbaits & I've noticed a correlation, If you dont spray a dark (preferrably black) basecoat first, the irridescance or color reflection wont show. Maybe it has similar effects with the powder you guys are usin.

I've used it to my advanage, where I can spray the whole bait with the color change paint & it will only show on dark areas, such as tiger stripes & such....neat effect.

Where do you guys gettin your powder?

Thanks,

redg8r

Hey Red,

I get all my powder from MF now. Those guys sold me on their plastic, and their other products ain't too shabby either :)

I noticed that their pearl is actually brighter than Lure Craft's, and it holds the color with heat a little better. I can get a decent hi-lite if I put a pinch of pearl in the mixture; just enough to offset the hi-lite colors.

I've got a bunch of MF's pearl mixtures coming in the mail, and I can't wait to try 'em :D

Chris

I use all of the hi-lites for various effects. It is something you just have to play with in small batches to get used to. I use the "blue" hi-lite mixed heavily in clear plastic for my pearl grubs, chunks, etc. You have to keep adding the powder until your plastic is milky looking. Don't mix it with any white or similar liquid color, as most of those are opaques and will dull the iridescence.

A little watermelon (green WM) mixed with the green hi-lite is AWESOME when poured as a vein with an opaque green pumpkin base (various flakes). Sweet potato mixed with the orange hi-lite is also a winner, especially for jig chunks for dirty water.

Hey Dan,

Great call on the sweet potato/orange mix. I have to try that one. Sounds like a winner to me :D

Don't know if you've tried this one, but I like to mix Green Pumpkin (Lure Craft's green pumpkin with a touch of brown) with green hi-lite. Mix in some black and gold flake and you've got a killer chunk color :)

I also use the blue hi-lite with watermelon, and throw in a brown belly; very close to Aaron's Magic.

Chris

Sorry about the time before this reply, but I'm thinking of starting to add soft plastic to my project lures and so was re-reading all the old posts...

I just wanted to share some info I found in my online research travels:

I found a scientific study that was looking at polarized vision in the green sunfish. What they found is that they do have polarized vision, and using it they can see objects under murky water many times farther than we thought. They think that what happens is that all the microscopic particles in the water reflect the polarized light randomly, kind of giving a "white noise" background. A solid surface will reflect the polarized uniformly, thus allowing the sunfish to see an object clearly when our vision would be like 1 foot in that cloudy gunk. The scientists were trying to create a mechanical system to duplicate this effect for underwater salvage/research. What I took from it is this:Bass are also in the sunfish family, so there's at least a decent chance that bass have polarized vision. Hi-lites and chameleon paints achieve their effect on our vision by bipolarization, that is they reflect polarized light in 2 different directions...So what we call "hi-lites" might actually be camoflauging the bait to a bass..

Or I could be completely wrong....

I'm into this kind of research stuff behind our lure designs, and would love to talk with others likewise inclined (or deviant, depending on your point of view)...