Marlake

Scale Masking

Clothes pegs, embroidery hoops, pin curl clips, bulldog clips, badge clips, hinged frames, forceps, spray glue. These are the ideas I found with my search "hold the netting" in quotes. You can search on these individual ideas and may come up with even more ideas, as that is how it works here at TU. Stick with the search function, it just needs a little practice to master.

This should get you started. Welcome to TU

Dave

Clothes pegs, embroidery hoops, pin curl clips, bulldog clips, badge clips, hinged frames, forceps, spray glue. These are the ideas I found with my search "hold the netting" in quotes. You can search on these individual ideas and may come up with even more ideas, as that is how it works here at TU. Stick with the search function, it just needs a little practice to master.

This should get you started. Welcome to TU

Dave

Thanks for the response. As I said, I searched to the best of my ability to find my answer so I wouldn't have to told to use the search function. Making nice looking baits "needs a little practice to master" but searching is simple provided you type in the proper word or phrase. I tried masking, scale masking, masking adhesives etc. How long do you think it would have taken me to come up with "hold the netting" (in quotes")?

If that is "how it works here at TU" and if you don't feel a question deserves a reponse, don't respond.

There--I feel better.

Thanks for the response. As I said, I searched to the best of my ability to find my answer so I wouldn't have to told to use the search function. Making nice looking baits "needs a little practice to master" but searching is simple provided you type in the proper word or phrase. I tried masking, scale masking, masking adhesives etc. How long do you think it would have taken me to come up with "hold the netting" (in quotes")?

If that is "how it works here at TU" and if you don't feel a question deserves a reponse, don't respond.

There--I feel better.

I use these little clamps that I bought at home depot. I am not sure what they are called, but they are the ones that you just squeeze and place. I bought like 10 of them for $3-5. Check out the clamp section in home depot, they are cheap and hold pretty tight.

I wrap the netting around the bait and clamp with small clamps( little black clamps used in office supplies)around the bottom of the bait. clamp the netting down at the belly of your bait so you will have a nice scale along the back bone of your bait and fade down torwards the belly.

I put the scales on in multiple ways. If I just want the scale on the shoulders than I use the hoop with netting on it. If I want to do the scale on the whole bait than I wrap it around and use clips to hold in place or just use my hand. It just depends on what you want. Both ways are easy but will take practice to get what you want. If you want multi-color scale than you have to wrap the bait. That is the only way the you can color and keep the scale lined up. I hope this helps.

Welcome to TU!!!!!

Man! I thought I was being helpful. You missed my point completely.

First off, answered your question with EIGHT proven solutions previously offered up by the TU community. I demonstrated how I used the search engine to achieve the result. I made a suggestion for future searches, to obtain more information and I enchouraged you to stick with the search engine, as it takes a bit of getting used to in order to get the most out of it.

Ideas here on TU generate more ideas, that's the way it works. You will find more original ideas per page than any other lurebuilding site on the web (JMHO). Sorry if you didn't find anything useful in my reply, which I took time out in my day to research for you and help.

Welcome to TU!!!!

Dave

PS, I'm feeling a little better now too.

V. man is so right, search is not a breeze unsure.gif on TU but it is there. I learned to search as a professional necessity and yet I find TU difficult, you gotta really be imaginative to think up the key words. That is it really, the KEYWORD is difficult to come up with, the problem is not TU.rolleyes.gif

http://img264.imageshack.us/i/2cf158ae413b12566597730.jpg/

I do not have a shot with the netting, called Tulle, in place. It is for bridal veils, I use different sizes for the different size lure seen here. See the scale lines? These are un finished and I just took off the tulle. But while in the jig I wrapped the lure in a folded piece of tulle. I used two wooden tongue depressors, you know, say ah..., tongue.gif one on each side and angled them to support the curve of the lure to keep the tull in place and I pinched the depressors with two to three clothes pins.

Important part here. wink.gif

The tulle comes off easy when the paint is wet, when it dries or you set it with heat between layers it glues the tulle down ohmy.gif . If you pull it off you usually damage the paint job. sad.gif

To remove it easily I filled the airbrush with water and misted it. Then with two hands gripped the tulle on either side of where it was stuck and pulled it against itself, pinch and pull apart gently stretching the fabric. That caused it to realease from the sticky spot without pulling the paint off. wink.gif

Marlake,

I just want to help Vodkaman in his strive to help you out.

Using the search engine, I found something which might be of interest to you, especially if you are going to paint a large number of lures:

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/9858-easy-method-to-paint-scales/page__hl__both%20side%20scales__fromsearch__1

PS: I dont speak English too well.