GDille

Crankbait Wire Forms

I am relatively new to the lure making craft. i have made some small crankbaits, topwaters and lots of spinners. i was wondering what the best way to make a wire skeleton for crankbaits is, and how do you go about it. if you have pictures it you help tremendously.

George

You may be able to find pics of thru-wire technique in the Member Submitted Tutorials. There are options, depending on the thru-wire method and the type of wire you select. First, are you going to thru-wire via a hole drilled nose to tail, or are you going to split the bait and glue it together with the frame inside? I split the bait. The second thing to consider is the type of wire you're using. Hard temper stainless is hard to bend so many who use it lay the bait on a plank of wood, mark where the hook hangers will be, then drive in nails at those points to serve as anchors around which to bend the wire. I use soft temper stainless or brass wire and can bend it freehand while holding it against the inside face of one of the bait halves. After bending, I lay it on the bait half, mark around it with a Sharpie and use an awl to scratch a depression into the balsa so the halves will fit together snugly when I epoxy them together.

I am relatively new to the lure making craft. i have made some small crankbaits, topwaters and lots of spinners. i was wondering what the best way to make a wire skeleton for crankbaits is, and how do you go about it. if you have pictures it you help tremendously.

George

Hi George

Follow the lnk to Hazmail's excellent tutorial on thru wiring crankbaits. I now use his method for mine.

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/10371-micro-through-wire-construction/

philB

Thanks for the tips guys, I been using screw eyes, and drilling a larger hole, then filling the hole with epoxy and setting the eye. Will that work

Depends on what your fishing for. Many do that, others will tell you they dont trust it.

does the thru-wire provide a means of structur to the bait?

With thru wire, you no longer rely on the bait material (wood plastic etc.) because the the hook harness runs entirely thru the bait.

George, like Redg8r sez, it depends mostly on what material the bait is made of. Balsa lures are more durable with thru-wiring. Hardwood lures generally don't require it. Several TU musky lure builders epoxy screw eyes into hardwood with no problems.