muskietom51

No Wobble

Its been a while since I've posted anything, I'll get pictures tomorrow evening when the camera operator is home.(wife) I took this bait down to the lake for a test this is what happened. It sits in the water perfect its weighted 3/4 ounce the lure is 4 inches an inch wide. It has a lexam lip same width as the bait. When I retrieve it slowly there is a slight wobble I need a good wobble want to use it trolling for Muskies. The faster I retrieved it. it was like i was pulling a stick seemed to run straight but it did wander to the left. The line tie is in the lexan lip about a 1/2 from the front. Sorry no pictures I know its tuff. but I'm thinking I'm way over weighted on the bait. But hey wanted to get something started on this post.

Its been a while since I've posted anything, I'll get pictures tomorrow evening when the camera operator is home.(wife) I took this bait down to the lake for a test this is what happened. It sits in the water perfect its weighted 3/4 ounce the lure is 4 inches an inch wide. It has a lexam lip same width as the bait. When I retrieve it slowly there is a slight wobble I need a good wobble want to use it trolling for Muskies. The faster I retrieved it. it was like i was pulling a stick seemed to run straight but it did wander to the left. The line tie is in the lexan lip about a 1/2 from the front. Sorry no pictures I know its tuff. but I'm thinking I'm way over weighted on the bait. But hey wanted to get something started on this post.

Really would help to see a pic but just for starters I would try putting the line tie in the nose of the bait.

Edited by Hughesy

I would go with what Hugesy said and also you can maybe shave the width of your bait down a lil bit. Then next option is to make your lip a lil wider than the width of your lure. With most all the lures ive done ive always had a good wobble with a lip wider than the lure.

Goodluck, Jacob

What type (density) is the wood you are using? If it is too dense and the weight is too evenly distributed then your action will be minimal.

And what they said about line tie location on the lip. The photos will answer a lot of questions about line tie location.

Q: What type of wood are you using?

Q: How much lead did you add?

Q: Where did you put the lead?

[quote

It sits in the water perfect

I'm thinking I'm way over weighted on the bait.

These 2 statements do not go too well together. I'm sure the lure is not overweighted, it is mainly a matter of lip angle, if anything else is OK.

This happened to me many times. this situation is due to a number of factors, but the first thing you have to check (and modify) is lip angle. The lip and the tow point form the main lever in a crankbait.

My guess about how you should fix the problem, based on your description (a picture would be much more helpful) : you should bend the lip downwords, not the whole lip, since the tou point is on the lip, but part of it. Since the lip is lexan, dip the part of the lip which you want to bend in hot oil. The temperature of the oil is critical, too high, and bubbles will appear in the lip.

You may need several bending trials to get that lure work right.

One thing that you need to keep in mind whether or not the bait is too heavy is the length of the lexan. If the line tie is too close to the bottom of the lip it reduces the action that is produced. When you look at those big Heavy swimbaits with lips on them the weight doesn't matter. so maybe you could try moving the line tie closer to the body of the bait i am sue that this will produce more of a wobble for you as it has done for me many times.

Tom, your line tie is too far toward the end of the lip.

I'd leave it as is and put a line tie directly into the nose of the bait just above the lip surface. Test that and see how it works. If good, snip off the old wire and you're ready to fish. If the action is too wild or the bait spirals, trim the length of the lip in 1/8" increments while retesting. If it just never "gets right", replace the lip with one where the line tie is closer to the body. When I have to do that, I use an epoxy putty log to mount the new lip because of the too-large slot you get when you have to cut out the old lip. Line ties on the surface of the lip should always be less than 50% of the distance from the nose of the bait to the tip of the lip. 40-45% is typical on deep divers but on a shallow diver like yours, it can usually go even closer to the nose. The closer it is to the nose, the tighter and faster the wiggle, which is why it's worth a shot to put it directly into the nose of the bait to see how that swims.

The line tie is in the lexan lip about a 1/2 from the front.

No, it isn't. It is much further to the tip of the lip. That lure has no chance to wobble, as it is now. I also think that the thickness of lexan is too big for that lure. The lip is not so big, compared to the crankbait, so putting a line tie there is not a good choice. The part of the lip that gives most of the action to a crankbait is the one situated in front of the line tie. Make a test. Keep the lure by the tow point with 2 fingers, and with the other hand try to "wobble" the crankbait using the tip of the lip. You will notice how hard it is to do that. Water will have the same problem when trying to make the lure "wobble".

I think that my idea with the bending of the lip will not work in this case. I assumed that the tow point is at the middle of the lip, and I was also hoping that the lip was bigger.

Make a test. Keep the lure by the tow point with 2 fingers, and with the other hand try to "wobble" the crankbait using the tip of the lip. You will notice how hard it is to do that. Water will have the same problem when trying to make the lure "wobble".

Rofish, very good explanation.

Dave

@ muskietom51

So many opinions here to confuse you more , and me still adding another one :huh::D !

The width length and angle of the lip is OK so far in my opinion , though I much more prefer round or triangular lips , not this "coffin" type(these are better suited for shallow running lures or wakebaits , pointing somewhat downward , IMO) .

But I think , that the lip is placed too high towards the nose of the bait , I'd assemble it more down the chin , also the line tie is located to far towards the tip of the lip , I'd mount it more towards the lure body to achieve a better leverage around the tow eye caused by the oncoming water pressure .

I am afraid , that you probably won't be able to save that lure anymore as it is completely thru-wired , ......but try to tape on a temporary tow eye a bit further behind the actual one and test again , at least this way it still serves an example for learning .

good luck though , ..........greetz , diemai :yay:

Thanks for all the replies an thoughts. Going back to the shop saturday between shopping an wrapping, Looking at the baits I showed before here is more of what i'm looking for. More belly with a more angle on the lip. The tie on the new bait is about what I had before just not the angle. I like to get it running 8 to 10 down trolling. I'll show the differences.001.JPG020.JPG002.JPG023.JPG One more question when retriving the bait if the lip is square do I just bent the eye to adjust the side way movement?

001.JPG

020.JPG

002.JPG

023.JPG

001.JPG

020.JPG

002.JPG

023.JPG

001.JPG

020.JPG

002.JPG

023.JPG

001.JPG

020.JPG

002.JPG

023.JPG

001.JPG

020.JPG

002.JPG

023.JPG

001.JPG

020.JPG

002.JPG

023.JPG

001.JPG

020.JPG

002.JPG

023.JPG

post-11690-126109413971_thumb.jpg

post-11690-126109416955_thumb.jpg

post-11690-12610941945_thumb.jpg

post-11690-126109424659_thumb.jpg

I like the new shape and that scale pattern is awesome! Looks like a mylar net fixed over the paint job. Love to know how you did it, but will understand if you don't want to reveal your secret.

Still looks like the tow eye needs to move back. Let us know how it swims. If it doesn't do what you want, try BobP's suggestion.

Dave

Edited by Vodkaman

I like the new shape and that scale pattern is awesome! Looks like a mylar net fixed over the paint job. Love to know how you did it, but will understand if you don't want to reveal your secret.

Still looks like the tow eye needs to move back. Let us know how it swims. If it doesn't do what you want, try BobP's suggestion.

Dave

I wish i could say i made that lure. Its a Bama bait from Bill Looney WV lure builder

There is a noticeable difference in the angle of the two baits lips ,but yours would probably work if you move the line tie back. You are not getting the correct water resistance on the lip to get it to pitch left and right causeing it to swim.Putting the line tie a little further back will get the lip to catch some water and tip forward and then you will get some resistance.

Edited by jamie