jamie

Transparent Paint

I know you can buy this paint ( bought lots of it) but how to mix it? There are some colors that I mix that I would like to make into transparent that you cant buy.The question is can you make transparent paint and are there limitations to making it , like can you use pearls or not? Im useing waterbase paint( createx ) thanks for any info. Jamie

I know you can buy this paint ( bought lots of it) but how to mix it? There are some colors that I mix that I would like to make into transparent that you cant buy.The question is can you make transparent paint and are there limitations to making it , like can you use pearls or not? Im useing waterbase paint( createx ) thanks for any info. Jamie

A true transparent paint is basically a dye and doesn't have the normal pigments opaque paints do. I use alot of House of Kolor kandy concentrates and I mix them with intercoat clear...which is basicly a clear base with no pigment. The concentrates are a dye.... I can intermix the kandy concentrates to achieve other transparent colors but I have no way of creating my own kandy color from scratch.

You can take any opaque paint and reduce it with a clear binder to the point of making it appear to be transparent, but its actually not....the paint will always have solid body pigments suspended in the clear base, but it will appear as a candy....sort of.....I've done this several times using PPG, Dupont and HoK,and it allowed me to achieve what I needed to at the time, but its not a true transparent paint by any means.

Same goes for any paint with pearls or irredescent colors....those pearl pigments are solid bodied pigments and in most cases will block whatever they are in front of....Althought there are some new pearls and flakes being used that are made from some type of clear mylar that allows the light to refract in a prism of colors....But for the most part when using pearls its easy to go from something that looks transparent to a solid opaque color by continuing to add layers.....the pearls would eventually cover whatever is below them....and they can do it quicker than you think sometimes.

I painted a flame job on a Harley one time and the customer wanted a violet pearl mixed into the final clearcoat to give it a ghostly flipflop style of color....I was new at this at the time, and in just a couple of light coats, I took a black Harley and turned it into a purple Harley with just a little pearl....lol.

I have not used any paint from Createx that was a true transparent color, but then again I haven't purchased anything from them but tee shirt paint in several years so they might have something I'm not aware of.

Did I answer your question or did I just get to rambling?...lol

Jaime,

I'll agree totally with KF, but to be Createx specific,

Createx makes Transparent Base, and its purpose is to increase transparency of Createx colors. You could also mix in a little clear Createx (might be the same thing as TB, or is nearly so) and make any of your opaques transparent: You'll have to experiment a little to get achieve the degree of transparency you're after. And, yes you can mix in pearls too for added irridescense. No use throwing away good paint, when you can have some creative fun with it.

Dean

I have used clear acrylic medium.(folkart@wal-mart) Its not specific to any brand paint and results may vary. I do heat set it a little longer and I've only used it with Devcon 2t. I don't know how it would react with DN or other clear coats.

Jaime,

I'll agree totally with KF, but to be Createx specific,

Createx makes Transparent Base, and its purpose is to increase transparency of Createx colors. You could also mix in a little clear Createx (might be the same thing as TB, or is nearly so) and make any of your opaques transparent: You'll have to experiment a little to get achieve the degree of transparency you're after. And, yes you can mix in pearls too for added irridescense. No use throwing away good paint, when you can have some creative fun with it.

Dean

Thanks Dean, I dont like to throw paint away either. The new paint outshines the createx hands down but I thought I could find some use for the old paint.

A true transparent paint is basically a dye and doesn't have the normal pigments opaque paints do. I use alot of House of Kolor kandy concentrates and I mix them with intercoat clear...which is basicly a clear base with no pigment. The concentrates are a dye.... I can intermix the kandy concentrates to achieve other transparent colors but I have no way of creating my own kandy color from scratch.

68KingFisher -

Have you tried the HOK Shimrin Kandy Concentrates (KBC's)? If so, how close would you say they get to the actual Kandy Concentrates? I know the KBC's aren't their true candy finish, but a mixture of their candy into a basecoat in order to mimic the candy finish. I'm really diggin' the KBC's but I wondered how close they were to the actual Kandy Concentrates (which aren't available in the little bottles... :( )

68KingFisher -

Have you tried the HOK Shimrin Kandy Concentrates (KBC's)? If so, how close would you say they get to the actual Kandy Concentrates? I know the KBC's aren't their true candy finish, but a mixture of their candy into a basecoat in order to mimic the candy finish. I'm really diggin' the KBC's but I wondered how close they were to the actual Kandy Concentrates (which aren't available in the little bottles... :( )

My experience with the Shimrin line of Kandy base coats (KBC) have been good....they mimic a real kandy finish over a metallic base quite well, without all the extra work, and the Kandy Koncentrates (KK) are often added to boost the color intensity......The KK's are pretty concentrated and work well when mixed with either basecoats, intercoat clears or even in your final clear. Just remember the KBC line of paint, in fact the "Shimrin" line of paints all have a metallic or pearl in the paint so they are not transparent paints and will cover whatever you spray it over.

As for the Kandy Koncentrates not being available in little bottles....well actually they are......I know that Coast airbrush sells them in as small as 1 oz bottles....A quick check of their website showed prices started at $4.95 for a 1oz bottle, or 2oz for $8.95 and 4oz for $16.95 and half pints are $25.50.....thats the size I get most often.

If you making a candy, you'll want to mix it with intercoat clear (SG100) or if you want to add pearls go with the SG150...the pearls tend to suspend alot better in that without sinking to the bottom. You can also purchase those in as small as 2oz bottles if you want, but a quart is only $26 so i'd go that route....you'll find you use alot more intercoat clear then you do KK's....with those "A little dab will do ya"....lol.....20-25% is about the max without getting some bleed problems.

Dont forget to grab some reducer....When airbrushing I always use the slowest reducer I can get...it'll depend somewhat on the temps in your area, but 90% of the time the slower the better when using it thru an airbrush....I use the RU312, but some time back they came out with a RU313 "Very slow" reducer.....I personally haven't used that yet till I run out of what I've got on hand but I will be trying some. Those items can also be purchased in amounts as small as 4oz....but again i'd recommend going with at least a quart if you can.

I hope this helped....grab ya a couple of small bottles and play with them to see what ya think.

Edited by 68KingFisher

My experience with the Shimrin line of Kandy base coats (KBC) have been good....they mimic a real kandy finish over a metallic base quite well, without all the extra work, and the Kandy Koncentrates (KK) are often added to boost the color intensity......The KK's are pretty concentrated and work well when mixed with either basecoats, intercoat clears or even in your final clear. Just remember the KBC line of paint, in fact the "Shimrin" line of paints all have a metallic or pearl in the paint so they are not transparent paints and will cover whatever you spray it over.

As for the Kandy Koncentrates not being available in little bottles....well actually they are......I know that Coast airbrush sells them in as small as 1 oz bottles....A quick check of their website showed prices started at $4.95 for a 1oz bottle, or 2oz for $8.95 and 4oz for $16.95 and half pints are $25.50.....thats the size I get most often.

If you making a candy, you'll want to mix it with intercoat clear (SG100) or if you want to add pearls go with the SG150...the pearls tend to suspend alot better in that without sinking to the bottom. You can also purchase those in as small as 2oz bottles if you want, but a quart is only $26 so i'd go that route....you'll find you use alot more intercoat clear then you do KK's....with those "A little dab will do ya"....lol.....20-25% is about the max without getting some bleed problems.

Dont forget to grab some reducer....When airbrushing I always use the slowest reducer I can get...it'll depend somewhat on the temps in your area, but 90% of the time the slower the better when using it thru an airbrush....I use the RU312, but some time back they came out with a RU313 "Very slow" reducer.....I personally haven't used that yet till I run out of what I've got on hand but I will be trying some. Those items can also be purchased in amounts as small as 4oz....but again i'd recommend going with at least a quart if you can.

I hope this helped....grab ya a couple of small bottles and play with them to see what ya think.

It's the UK's that I can't find in the small bottles (oops). I get all my stuff from Coast and they only seem to sell it in quarts. :( But I had no idea about the KK's!! I'll have to pick some of those up!! I have some SG150 that I've been using to mix pearls.

I have shot the KBC's over a Kosmic Krome base and that's a pretty nice looking effect. This bait is brandywine KBC over the Kosmic Krome:

kosmic2.jpg

I have a quart of the slow reducer.....but I'll admit, half the time I reduce with lacquer thinner. :lol:

Thanks for the help!! I'm going to try out some of those KK's!

It's the UK's that I can't find in the small bottles (oops). I get all my stuff from Coast and they only seem to sell it in quarts. :( But I had no idea about the KK's!! I'll have to pick some of those up!! I have some SG150 that I've been using to mix pearls.

I have shot the KBC's over a Kosmic Krome base and that's a pretty nice looking effect. This bait is brandywine KBC over the Kosmic Krome:

kosmic2.jpg

I have a quart of the slow reducer.....but I'll admit, half the time I reduce with lacquer thinner. :lol:

Thanks for the help!! I'm going to try out some of those KK's!

When you mix kk with intercoat clear your basicly making the UK kandies......In fact i've been told by some old school painters that one can of kk mixed with one quart of SG100 will give you the exact same thing as the UK.

Those same old school painters also showed me that they also use lacquer thinner instead of reducer most of the time.....I normally don't pass that on but I also do the same alot of the time.

Nice lookin paintjob by the way.....I've always been a fan of the Brandywine color....try it over a gold base;)

Edited by 68KingFisher

I just found this post as I havent been here in awhile. Are you saying Createx has discontinued their trans paints??? I just started playing with them over the foil. I am slow to try new things, but these trans are fun to use. Seems awile back they cabcelled the chameleon line.

Two things.......No, the createx transparents are still available, what he was saying is they aren't a true transparent paint. A true transparent paint has dye, which is a colored liquid. The Createx transparents have solid particle pigment in them, they're just really reduced so they appear to be transparent.

The chameleon colors I think were an auto-air product. Auto-air is still around, but is no longer sold as a Createx Product. Not sure if if was sold off or just branched out on its own but it's still around.

Stringjam, try tcp global for any HOK colors/sizes that you can't find at coast.