BC_CARVER

Aibrush Purchase Talk

Hey all...

I am in the market for a airbrush and compressor.This will be the first one for me. I am looking for a good set-up that can paint fine detail when I need it to.What Is everyone else using?.

thanks for your time

Hmmmm. Fine detail. How fine do you want it? I can get my PS900 down to a point similar to a fine tip ball point pen. But then there will always be some overspray. For really fine detail, I resort to using stencils. My freestyle has not produced well when it comes to fine detail.

/bing

There are a hundred threads discussing airbrushes and compressors so I won't rehash them. Use the search box in the upper right hand corner to explore the possibilities and many opinions. Painting detail is 20% airbrush and 80% artist. On the airbrush side, the build quality and tip size makes it easier or harder to do. Just remember that painting crankbaits is about overall base coating and shading as well as detail.

I would check out Badger's website (there link pops up on the top of the page on occasion). Go to the "Garage Sale" portion of the site. I bought a Badger 360 (which is still listed on there) and I love it. This airbrush can be used for either siphon or gravity feed... I just use it for gravity feed though. I think its on sale for around 70 bucks. I also have a ps900. Yes, the ps900 is a nice airbrush for the price, but paying 70 bucks for a $200 airbrush is worth it in the end. I feel the ps900 can paint a finer line; however, the 360 is far easier to clean and shoots a wide range of paint. I would like to also point out the badger will conduct repairs to your airbrush free of charge. My :twocents:

Hey all...

I am in the market for a airbrush and compressor.This will be the first one for me. I am looking for a good set-up that can paint fine detail when I need it to.What Is everyone else using?.

thanks for your time

Iwata hands down. They paint like a dream. I personally use a High Performance C plus.

Buy a tool air compressor with a pressure regulator and buy fittings to adapt the brush.

I purchased my set from Airbrush City on EBAY. I picked up a compressor and 3-4 Airbrushes for under $200. I realize some will say stay with name brand, but the compressor is the most expensive part and the airbrushes have worked out great for a year and a half. I wanted to start out slow and make sure I really would be into it and it has not failed me yet. I have not found anything I could not paint with the AB's and the price was right.

@ BobP

Just stumbled in here and being an absolute novice to airbrush as well , I am quite impressed by your statement above about the 20% and 80% and the easier/harder thing !

Also I don't want to start another thread , as there are so many already ,........ but I guess , that with your statement you're helping me to make up my mind to go buy that pictured below starter kit on coming Wednesday special sales(just got that supermarket flyer today) .

I know , that I'd have to switch to different , waterbased colors than these ones containing in the kit (obviously solvent based , as they mention "thinner" in the describtion) , probably try to get another spray gun later(for fine lines) , ....but I shall see !

Guess , that it could be alright for lures , no very fine details would be possible with that gun though , I suppose ,....... but I am familiar to stencils as well :lol: !

The model parts shown in this link http://www.rcpanzer.de/apboard/thread.php?id=17457 are said to be made with that very airbrush kit ,....... and I guess , that the desert camou pattern is having some sufficiently fine lines(the black in particular) , that might be suitable for lures either ?

Sorry for hijacking this thread somehow :worship: , ........................greetz , diemai :yay:

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

PIC_0002.JPG

post-17895-126202612082_thumb.jpg

I started with a $20 Badger single stage airbrush and a can of compressed CO2. As I got experience with it, I recognized there were things I wanted to do that my setup would not handle, so I started upgrading to better equipment. After a couple of iterations, I'm now using Iwata airbrushes, a compressor and only paint formulated for airbrushes. It's good enough to handle everything I CAN do with an airbrush and a lot of things I CANNOT yet do - and may never learn. But never say never! I've seen too many great looking crankbaits in the TU Gallery that were painted with rattle can paint to become an equipment snob. The bottom line is that good airbrush equipment makes things much easier. But it does not preclude doing great work with not-so-good equipment.