Milia B

Hand Carved Lures

I've been here for about a year, and just wondering if anyone else hand carves their baits ( i do ) I have all the equipment to knock them out quick ( a bandsaw and such ) but it seems that I get a lot more enjoyment out of carving a blank by hand.... it may take a few hours but everyone is unique, sometimes the finished lure isnt even what I thought I was going to be when I started carving it....what about you guys ?

Milia

"sometimes the finished lure isn't even what I thought I was going to be when I started carving it....what about you guys ?"

Signs of a good mind here, maybe even an artist Milia, I wish I could do that!!! - I just set a target and head for it, which sometimes blinds me to being able to rectify faults before they happen, so I finish up with a lot of blanks which turn into 'duds'. Anyway, show us those 'babies'.Pete

Pete, your not the first guy I've heard the "show us those babies" request from in my life ....LOL

Milia

"sometimes the finished lure isn't even what I thought I was going to be when I started carving it....what about you guys ?"

Signs of a good mind here, maybe even an artist Milia, I wish I could do that!!! - I just set a target and head for it, which sometimes blinds me to being able to rectify faults before they happen, so I finish up with a lot of blanks which turn into 'duds'. Anyway, show us those 'babies'.Pete

@ Milia B

Don't do this anymore , but when I've started out with making wooden lures many years ago , I had carved them from round wood stock , .......wasn't always that easy to achieve an even centered tail , -and nose taper on these spindle shaped blanks just with a carpet knife and sandpaper , but soon I got quite good on it .

I remember , that the most difficult one was a "Rush Tango" knock-off , .........later I got fed up with it and got myself a lathe !

greetz ,diemai :yay:

Milia,

I have been hand carving my baits for the past 20 years. I am currently considering molding a couple of my baits (more for consistency than anything else) but it still won't take the place of hand carving. I just believe that carving my baits is what I'm supposed to do. I love the feel of the knife cutting through the wood. That's why I do other types of carving. Besides, I'm not in it for the money. I just enjoy making them. Now, if I could just enjoy painting them!

Gene

My feelings exactly, I can't seem to find time to paint any of my lures ( any volenteers? ) but it seems I can allways find time to carve.

Milia,

I have been hand carving my baits for the past 20 years. I am currently considering molding a couple of my baits (more for consistency than anything else) but it still won't take the place of hand carving. I just believe that carving my baits is what I'm supposed to do. I love the feel of the knife cutting through the wood. That's why I do other types of carving. Besides, I'm not in it for the money. I just enjoy making them. Now, if I could just enjoy painting them!

Gene

My feelings exactly, I can't seem to find time to paint any of my lures ( any volenteers? ) but it seems I can allways find time to carve.

Painting was the last thing that I got into really enjoying. Its like your first taste of beer... when your 10! An acquired taste indeed! The first step is carving and making the lure designs. Looking at the gallery pics on this site really pushed me to learn how to paint (and showed me what you can really do with an airbrush!). You will reach a certain point that you will enjoy painting too! But I will totally agree with you, I do love creating-inventing a lure and going through the process to make that particular lure work.

@ Milia B

Just like to say "Thank Ya" about this thread :worship: , ....you've have inspired me to get out the carpet knife once again !

Carved out these two blanks from rectangular pinewood dowels just with pencil , knife and sandpaper whilst waiting for the paint to dry on some other lures !

Off course eye sockets , lip slots , rattle bore and separation cuts had to be made on my hobby routing machine , the yet unseparated dowel remainder comes in very handy for chucking the workpiece , ........some wood putty took care of little flaws !

You're right to say , that one never knows in advance , what would finally come out of it ,........I've surely enjoyed carving these , certainly won't be my last !

greetz , diemai :yay:

HANCAR_01.JPG

HANCAR_01.JPG

HANCAR_01.JPG

HANCAR_01.JPG

HANCAR_01.JPG

HANCAR_01.JPG

HANCAR_01.JPG

HANCAR_01.JPG

post-17895-12625210402_thumb.jpg

Diemai,

Way to go, those look real nice!...seems like you were doing a lil better than just whittling your time away while waiting for some paint to dry. :yay:

@ Milia B

Just like to say "Thank Ya" about this thread :worship: , ....you've have inspired me to get out the carpet knife once again !

Carved out these two blanks from rectangular pinewood dowels just with pencil , knife and sandpaper whilst waiting for the paint to dry on some other lures !

Off course eye sockets , lip slots , rattle bore and separation cuts had to be made on my hobby routing machine , the yet unseparated dowel remainder comes in very handy for chucking the workpiece , ........some wood putty took care of little flaws !

You're right to say , that one never knows in advance , what would finally come out of it ,........I've surely enjoyed carving these , certainly won't be my last !

greetz , diemai :yay:

Gene you are too modest, you never told me about your web site!!!

I was fortunate enough to hold a couple of these babies (as opposed to Milia's) and I can verify they are works of art (from a humble non expert) and you should see the workshop, also a work of art.

Ah memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe again this year.

Pete

WOW ! I just went to the web site with the link provided and all i can say is WOW! Absolutly beautiful work. I cant imagine ever being able to do something like that.

Hi

I don't know about lures but take a look at Gene's website, I hope I'm not out of order posting a link. I think you will understand my comment ;). Gene, maybe a kind comment but definitely a true one.

http://www.angelfire...treetotreasure/