RayburnGuy

Airbrush Quit Spraying

My PS900 quit spraying. I checked the nozzle to see if it was clogged and even went so far as to put a brand new nozzle in. Still wouldn't spray. It's bubbling back into the cup when I try to spray. With a magnifying glass I can see light through the air cap body and the new nozzle didn't help. The needle is fine as well. Ideas anyone?

(this is probably what I get for buying a knockoff)

I had something similar happen to my badger last year. It wouldn't spray and I just couldn't figure out what the deal was. Luckily, Badger provides free services to repair/ replace your airbrush parts. Once I got mine back, there was a note attached saying to not soak the airbrush in cleaner. They didn't say what they did to fix it. Did you ever soak your airbrush to clean it before? I used to always let my airbrush soak for a day when doing thorough cleanings... apparently, it really can screw them up (which is why I had to send it in). My guess is, a seal must have swollen up. But just by going by what you described as your airbrush's symptoms, it sounds exactly like what went down with mine.

Sorry that I can't help! My suggestion would be to tear it down as far as you possibly can (or hope you get a new one for Christmas). If you do find a seal/oring that is swelled up you can put it in the freezer to make it shrink back to its original shape (good trick to know for odd-sized o-rings!). Good Luck!

If it bubbling in the cup, it's getting air so there's a clog in the front of the airbrush. I'd disassemble it and soak it overnight in a cleaning solution. A set of airbrush cleaning brushes can help clean out the barrel. Otherwise you have to use the needle (gingerly) to force out any globs of paint after they are softened by the soaking.

I'm pretty sure it's not because of a dirty brush. I checked what I could with a magnifying glass and it was clean as a whistle. I changed the nozzle to one that had never been used before so I don't think it was because of a dirty nozzle either. Got a feeling that A-Mac might be on to something about the o-ring. Only been a couple days ago that I soaked the front end of the brush in Createx airbrush restorer. Although I painted a bait yesterday and everything was fine. Will try A-Mac's trick about putting the o-ring in the freezer and will give the brush another cleaning to see what happens.

thanks guys,

Ben

You have gotten some good advice already but I will add that if my Iwata bubbles it's because the front cap is not tightened down far enough on the nose cone or the needle isn't slid far enough forward. I'm willing to bet you problem is in the nose cone. The needle isn't damaged is it? Lay the needle on a table and roll it, is the tip bent?

jed

Finally got it going again. It was indeed a dirty nozzle. These 55 year old eyes had a tough time seeing what was wrong. Even with a magnifying glass. What gets me though is that I put in a brand new nozzle, straight out of the package, and still had the same problem That's what made me think the original nozzle wasn't dirty. Ended up soaking it in airbrush restorer and got it cleaned up. Have to put a new, stronger magnifying glass on my wish list.

thanks for all the help everyone,

Ben

I know it's working now, but the new nozzle doing the same thing makes me think it was obviously not a dirty nozzle. However, 90% of problems are related to dried up paint. Sounds like one of two things.

The nozzle CAP was dirty and preventing air from moving around the nozzle, and it was being forced back around the nozzle in the wrong direction....into the body.

Or

You had some dried paint on the front of the body, causing the nozzle to not seat fully. Then when you put the nozzle cap on, it's up against the nozzle, again not letting air go around the front of the nozzle and forcing it to go between the nozzle and body.

Remember that airbrushes are not complex devices. Only a couple moving parts, and only a few places for things to go wrong. The tolerances are very tight though, and one part having a little bit of paint on it can throw everyting else off. The solution is usually very simple.

Edited by clamboni

lol @ Mike Be sure to tell the elves to tip toe when they bring the new eyeballs. I sleep with a gun. It doesn't gripe like the ex and it's always ready to "pop one off". :P

Thanks again for all the help guys. I think what might have happened with the new nozzle not spraying is the possibility of the o-ring not seating right. It might have gotten crooked and blocked the air flow while I was trying the new nozzle. Only thing I can think of and it sounds possible so that's what I'm going with. lol Ya'll are right about the airbrush being a simple tool. Bad eyesight seems to complicate even the simplest of things though. Just glad I've got all the experience of the folks on this website to fall back on. Ya'll are the best.:yay:

Ben

lol @ Mike Be sure to tell the elves to tip toe when they bring the new eyeballs. I sleep with a gun. It doesn't gripe like the ex and it's always ready to "pop one off". tongue.gif

Thanks again for all the help guys. I think what might have happened with the new nozzle not spraying is the possibility of the o-ring not seating right. It might have gotten crooked and blocked the air flow while I was trying the new nozzle. Only thing I can think of and it sounds possible so that's what I'm going with. lol Ya'll are right about the airbrush being a simple tool. Bad eyesight seems to complicate even the simplest of things though. Just glad I've got all the experience of the folks on this website to fall back on. Ya'll are the best.yay.gif

Ben

I know all about the bad eye sight buddy.....Got the same problems myself....sux gettin old...lol