MasterChief

Salmon Trolling Lures

During my last deployment I purchased around 50-60 molded 6" salmon trolling lures. They are right out of the mold and the big stuff has been removed leaving a shiny plastic lure with the hook swivel and line attachment. (very similar to Tomic Plugs)

What is the best way to knock off the shine and prime the lure for airbrushing? I really want to prime them to ensure a good adhesion of the topcoat. What is the recommended primer for Createx Airbrush paint topcoat?

Thanks,

Chad L.

US NAVY MASTER CHIEF PETTY OFFICER

ATG PACNORWEST

Everett, Wa

You can sand lightly to give the surface some "tooth" or apply an adhesion promoter (AP). Coast airbrush sells aerosol HOK Adherto and sprayable SEM Plastic AP. Bullseye aerosol is another another popular AP. I just sand lures with 400 grit when repainting but if I were doing 50, I'd probably go with an AP.

The best way to prep is to scuff with a pad that is used in the auto refinishing trade. 3M has four differant grades here they are from coarse to fine. Red Gray Gold White. For what you are doing the gray one is the best. It will give you the best tooth for the following processes. These pads will do a more complete job in less time. You can get them at an automotive paint store were you can ask what plastic adhesion promoter is available in your area. The reason I cant give you certain products is that some of ours are only available here in my area. To help with preping them use them with water and a little dish soap this will help clean and prep at the some time.