jerkbait

First try at posting picture

Marc,

It does a side to side slow walk and if you use braid and go slow, it glides 10-14 inches either way. It is weighted to sink level very slowly but stays 1-3 feet deep unless you really let it go down before you start up and hold the rod tip under the water. The orange one has produced more fish but the gloomis pattern is cooler to look like.

Thanks for the comments

Jerk!

Jerkbait

I have been making my own musky bucktails, spinnerbaits and leaders for a few years. In January I was lucky enough to attend a luremaking workshop in Toronto that was put on by Out2llunge. It inspired me to start making my own crankbaits and jerkbaits.

I'm currently working on 10" Mantas and 6 and 8" Phantoms. I'm making them out of maple and I hope to get them to glide but I won't be able to test them till mid April.

What type of wood did you use for your jerkbait?

Marc

Marc,

The bait pictured is white pine. I have done some recently in maple and poplar which require much less lead but seem to have a more sedate action. I am thinking the less dense woods react more lively even when weighted just to the negative side. I can make the maple baits glide and change ends with rod movement but the lighter ones can be made to swivel and glide just with reel cadence and less physical movement of the rod tip. I have currently made about 15 in the current design configuration and varied every detail I can control. When I get exactly what I want I will measure and blueprint then try to reproduce reliably.

We are lucky to still have open water to fish so I will post any results soon.

Jerk!