allstate48

Top Coating Question

I've discussed this before, so please bear with me. I've foiled a bait with different vinyls. I've used super glue, elmers, and another water base glue. Now comes the problem. The last time I foiled, and covered with Etax, it pulled some of the foil loose. Could I get by, if I used clear acrylic, out of a rattle can? Maybe more than one coat, just for a little coating, before I use etex. I can't find any other epoxy in our small town. Thanks Doug

I've discussed this before, so please bear with me. I've foiled a bait with different vinyls. I've used super glue, elmers, and another water base glue. Now comes the problem. The last time I foiled, and covered with Etax, it pulled some of the foil loose. Could I get by, if I used clear acrylic, out of a rattle can? Maybe more than one coat, just for a little coating, before I use etex. I can't find any other epoxy in our small town. Thanks Doug

I conceal the foil edge with Devcon 2 Ton it goes on thicker than Etex. I also coat some of the sharper edges of my lure (jointed jerk bait) with devcon before giving it the final top coat of Etex. It can be found at some Ace hardware stores, make sure you get the 2 Ton version not the 5 minute version as it cures to fast. If you can't buy it locally there are online resources. Only problem with buying online is, sometimes the shipping cost exceeds the price of the epoxy itself because it is considered a "hazardous material". That may not be exactly the answer you were looking for. I am unsure about the acrylic rattle can. Let us know how it goes if you do try it out.

i was in Michael's craft store today and i found something that might help u out. Ive never foiled a bait b4 but i am definitely interested in recently started looking into it. i found foil and other foil related products made by a company called Mona Lisa. They sell anything from spray or brush on adhesives or foil to foil sealers and everything in between. my thinking is u should be able to spray this foil sealer on first, let it dry, then clear coat as u normally do. But take my warning that like i said ive never done this before so might not turn out. maybe try it out first on a small portion so u minimize ur waste if it doesnt work. sorry my response isnt more concrete but hopefully it pointed u in the right direction

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.

If your reading this in English, thank a Veteran!

It isn't just you Doug. 2-ton isn't easy to find. I recently stocked up, but I'm not sure where I found it since we hit a lot of stores that day. Probably Dick Blick's or Jerry's Artarama. Maybe Lowe's, though I doubt it. Gotta start writing this stuff down. I can't even blame the loss of memory on creeping senility - I've always been like this.