Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
finlander

Etex In Cold Weather

6 posts in this topic

A friend wants to use Etex on a table top to immerse her Petoskey stones ( michiganders know what these are). I had thought of that too. Uncles cabin can get down into the teens in the winter. Many layers of Etex might be needed. What might cold temps do to this epoxy? Thanks.

Hazmail put this thread up for discussion a while back: http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/topic/17624-top-coat-teasts/page__fromsearch__1

It does not discuss etex specifically, also the tests were outdoors, so the relevance to your query is highly questionable. It will give you an idea of what you are up against and is a very interesting read.

The link included by Hazmail links to a second test performed the next year, when two epoxies were included, but not etex: http://www.mar-k.com/wood_finish_testing_ii.html

Dave

Well, she's on the right track. Envirotex Lite is specifically designed as a pour-on (not brushed on) table top finish. If you are embedding stuff, you probably need some kind of lip to hold an epoxy pool deep enough to cover the stones. You might consider partially recessing the stones into the table top so the coating won't have to be so thick. Cold temps will retard the cure time so I'd wait until I could count on a couple of days at least above freezing. Remember - Mix Mix Mix

Edited by BobP

What I was shooting for was, do you think the Etex will crack in the colder months when the cabin is unused? After it has been poured and set up? There is a 'log' in my uncle's cabin that I would like to try to do that with too. We went up last January. It was -20 outside and in the teens inside the cabin. We would router out the top of this log, leaving an edge/lip on the perimeter. We would do this in the spring/summer. Thanks.

What I was shooting for was, do you think the Etex will crack in the colder months when the cabin is unused? After it has been poured and set up? There is a 'log' in my uncle's cabin that I would like to try to do that with too. We went up last January. It was -20 outside and in the teens inside the cabin. We would router out the top of this log, leaving an edge/lip on the perimeter. We would do this in the spring/summer. Thanks.

I don't think a heavy layer of epoxy would crack due to cold temps UNLESS the substrate it was coating underwent significant shrinkage/expansion.