Jump to content
Need Help Mixing Paint
5 replies to this topic
Posted 27 December 2009 - 03:08 AM
Can anyone help me with mixing the color of the bait in the photo? Norman calls it watermelon, but as you know there are many different colors that different manufacturers call "watermelon". If the teeth marks on the bait show up in the picture you will understand why I'm trying to match this color. If it was just a matter of matching "that" color to "that" bait I would just buy more lures from Norman. I'm wanting to paint some different style baits with this color. I've tried mixing several different colors and so far have done nothing but waste paint. Hoping someone can help.
Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:53 AM
Looks like it may be clear colours to me, but basic brown is red with a bit of black added - then maybe adjust it with a little dark green and maybe yellow- basically start with red and add small amounts of black then brighten it with small amounts of the others.
Go by it's wet colour, not dry, if it dries spit on it to get the gloss back and the real finished colour. Just dabble around on a piece of white plastic or Polycarbonate until you get close, taking note of the brew then mix your batch. pete
Posted 27 December 2009 - 01:04 PM
I guess you are supposed to be able to mix any color from Primary Colors, but I would start with light brown and add olive green until I got something close.
Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:40 PM
Thanks guys. I would never have thought to mix green and brown together. Tried it with Createx transparent light brown and Createx transparent leaf green and it came out pretty close. The Norman lure was a clear plastic with no base coat and the transparent "watermelon" was just sprayed over the clear bait. I didn't have any clear bodies and had to spray it over a white base coat, but it came out pretty close.
Thanks again Pete and BobP.
Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:26 AM
I got my order of clear bodies and finally got around to trying out the watermelon color you guys helped me with. You can't really tell from the picture, but it's pretty transparent which is what I wanted. Believe I got the color pretty close to the Norman. Let me know what you think.
[attachment=4472:Watermelon-Red Flake 1-11-10 001.jpg]
Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:55 AM
You got it very close indeed, I would have put some copper and gold dots with the end of a drill bit instead of glitter and shoot a black fine line over de back for a dark appearence. Just MHO.
Anyway excelent work!!!
P.S. looked again at the pictures in parallel and could hardly see the difference, except for the eyes and the red dots
Edited by pikeman, 12 January 2010 - 07:00 AM.