jamie

Swimbait Rack

sorry tried to insert pic , with no success . A friend emailed me and was wondering how I clear my swimbaits and I was going to post a pic but I need to find my 7 year old and let him show me how. I guess this is why im a truck driver and not a computer programmer. Sorry for the post, Jamie

Edited by jamie

sorry tried to insert pic , with no success . A friend emailed me and was wondering how I clear my swimbaits and I was going to post a pic but I need to find my 7 year old and let him show me how. I guess this is why im a truck driver and not a computer programmer. Sorry for the post, Jamie

Sorry I think I finally figured it out. Hopefully this will show a pic of how I hang a swimbait for clearing. The bait is suspended in between the rack and all joints are stretched out. I paint and clear all of my baits in these racks ( cranks , gliders swimbaits) and they attach directly to the dryer itself. I never have to handle the bait and avoid contamination from oils in your skin.Each bait will have its own rack.You can find the metal to make these racks in your local hardware store in the metal works. You cut to length and bend the two ends up. Each rack is bolted and wing nutted to the dryer. Sorry it took me three tries to post , but there it is.

th_100_4156.jpg

Sorry I think I finally figured it out. Hopefully this will show a pic of how I hang a swimbait for clearing. The bait is suspended in between the rack and all joints are stretched out. I paint and clear all of my baits in these racks ( cranks , gliders swimbaits) and they attach directly to the dryer itself. I never have to handle the bait and avoid contamination from oils in your skin.Each bait will have its own rack.You can find the metal to make these racks in your local hardware store in the metal works. You cut to length and bend the two ends up. Each rack is bolted and wing nutted to the dryer. Sorry it took me three tries to post , but there it is.

I will make a wise crack, you can find the metal in my closet! Jamie, we have done this the same way but I used coat hangers, and hang them on the rack. The tension is supplied by a rubber band on a paper clip. These swim baits have three segments and are stretched out. The bottom one, the single, shows the tulle netting held in place for scale painting.

I use a hair dryer to set the Createx paint and hang them for Dick Nite top coating, I dont dip as that clogs the hinges. I do put a jar under the suspended bait and use a brush to put on the top coat very heavy so it runs off. After about a minute I move to the next. By tipping the rack the individuals do not drain on the lower ones.

2cf158ae413b12566597730.th.jpg

click to enlarge thumb and here is a single up close

dscn1217.th.jpg

Edited by Piscivorous Pike

P Pike I use etex and cant hang my baits at all. Thin coats is the key word like you said but I couldnt use coat hangers the way my dryer is made like you did.. I might have 30 baits on the dryer or might have one and I need a quick way of getting the baits on the dryer.All my bait turn nose over tail and the baits have to be in constant rotation till the etex cures enough to turn the dryer off.It just takes a couple seconds to get the bait on the dryer and speed is a factor for me. Just posting a pic because of a request.

P Pike I use etex and cant hang my baits at all. Thin coats is the key word like you said but I couldnt use coat hangers the way my dryer is made like you did.. I might have 30 baits on the dryer or might have one and I need a quick way of getting the baits on the dryer.All my bait turn nose over tail and the baits have to be in constant rotation till the etex cures enough to turn the dryer off.It just takes a couple seconds to get the bait on the dryer and speed is a factor for me. Just posting a pic because of a request.

Jamie, this is fun, comparing methods and seeing how people go about solving similiar creations. I like you work, too much maybe. Success stories like yours inspired me to give lure painting a try! I thought I could make a swim bait in a custom pattern or three, match the hatch. I did, no saving over buying a factory made one but it is custom and the worst part about it, after spending $350 on tools, painting jigs, compressos, air brush and 72 unfinished baits I found I do not like painting baits. Not fund for me. More like work. So after gettting two each of three patterns in three sizes I am going to sell my entire Kaboodle. I will spend the the money back on more soft plastic stuff though! Haven't made tubes, hollow body swim baits or Yum money minnow style baits yet. Gotta try that next.

Thanks for sharing and showing me at least I was on the right track. Don't be surprised if you see someday I used your ideas!