RayburnGuy

For Those Of You Looking For Foil

After reading several posts about folks looking for foil I did some searching on the 'net. I've never foiled a bait so not 100% sure if this is the stuff you need, but it's worth a look. The price seems right as well. A 5 inch by 250 foot roll is only $9.99.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/salon-Foil/SBS-702509,default,pd.html

After reading several posts about folks looking for foil I did some searching on the 'net. I've never foiled a bait so not 100% sure if this is the stuff you need, but it's worth a look. The price seems right as well. A 5 inch by 250 foot roll is only $9.99.

http://www.sallybeauty.com/salon-Foil/SBS-702509,default,pd.html

The link only got me to the site, not the product...but none of the foil I saw was adhesive backed. Actually any foil can potentially be used, including mylars,etc, by using a spray adhesive such as 3M's Super 77. But if you want the best and thinnest adhesive backed foil I've seen, you want BriteBak Tape, available in silver and gold. This is what I use, and is available from Happy Craftn's Mosaic Supplies. www.happycraftnsmosaicsupplies.com (608) 372-3816

Or use BobP's source in the other Foil post...

You might do a search for BriteBak Tape too. Being much thinner than HVAC tape makes it easier to use. You'll need to coat it with epoxy rather than DN at least for the first coat--DN will work fine over the epoxy, as long as you prep the epoxy by cleaning it thoroughly. I scuff it first and then take it to the kitchen sink for a scrub with Dawn dish soap. Dry it without contaminating the surface with fingers or paper towels, unless they're oil free. Then you can hit it with Dicknite's topcoat and it will stay put.

Dean

Edited by Dean McClain

One of my "other" hobbies is aquariums and aquatic plants, so i'm also a member of some aquatic plant forums and I was reading some interesting info regarding applying foils and mylars behind the aquarium light bulbs as reflectors. Being aquatic gardeners naturally they want the most light they can get from their lamps.

What I found interesting was a couple of the guys had access to some high tech light reading meters and they ran a bunch of tests using different materials as reflectors....everything from mirror polished sheets of aluminum, to mylar foils to just plain old white paint....And guess which one gave off the most light reflection?? The cheapest Aluminum foil you can get from the dollar store......White paint came in second place....after several repeated tests at various aquarium depths as well as tested in open air and in water depths upto about 2ft I believe....the end result was simple aluminum foil gave off the best reflection of light.

You don't suppose that could translate into this craft somehow do you?.....I was thinkin more flash for the buck just by using dollor store aluminum foil instead of more expensive materials? I realize you'd have to use spray adhesive or something with aluminum foil but the added flash might make it worth while?.....Dunno...just throwin this out there.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pic above, it's actually a picture of a picture. My original file size was too large. The bait actually looks much better in person; I'll try and get a final pic in a few days when I'm done.

-

Anywho, the bait isn't finished, as I need to put eyes on it, epoxy it and paint a small bit; but you get the idea. This was my first attempt at foiling; and I can't complain, considering it's elmers glue stick and dollar store aluminum foil.

Edited by motomania