Jump to content
5 replies to this topic
Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:01 PM
Hey all, I've been a member here for a year, but forgot I had signed up after my old computer crashed. So, this is my first post. I was wondering what you guys make your templates out of? I've tried a bit of everything, but am not happy with the ease of use or results. The one I've had the biggest problem with is trying to paint evenly spaced vertical straight lines down the side of the lure. Thanks and I Iook forward to reading replies.
Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:09 PM
An easy way to paint vertical lines on the side of a bait is by using combs. You can tape up the spaces you don't want paint to show up on and vary the spacing by cutting a tooth out of the comb in a pattern of your choosing. You can skip a tooth, cut one and skip another for a different look too. You can also vary the distance you hold the comb from the bait when spraying to get a harder or softer edge to your painted lines. The sizes and styles of combs is almost limitless as well. Once you start playing around with them you'll see what I mean.
Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:02 PM
<br /><br /><br />
I've been fiddling with the comb thing myself too. Although I'm only painting with rattle cans, my situation may be a bit different. One thing I did to was to melt a few of the combs, to give them a slight curve, getting them a bit closer to the baits when the body sides go from fat to skinny.
But, as for other templates. One thing I did last week was actually print the pic of a craw patterned rapala. Shrink it down to size, took an exacto knife and cut out the primary lines I was interested in; then paint from there. It needs a little work, but actually turned out pretty good for a first shot. (and considering I'm using rattle cans. :-)
Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:56 PM
That's a good idea moto. Hadn't thought about printing a photo and using it for a template. Will have to try that.
Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:57 AM
These are great ideas! I would have never thought of the comb! I've been using clear transparencies like you use on an overhead projector so I can see through. It works great for gills and fins, but hard to get a good spray on a full body template.