finlander

Those Who Repaint

Bruce,

This is a good question to ask. I can remember asking this once before. You will find that many of the guys here do not strip the bait down. Scuff it with 320 to 400 grit sand papper. If it is wood than seal it and prime and paint.

I used to strip the baits down and paint from the plastic up. It takes a ton of time and is not worth it in the long run. So my advice to you is to scuff them and paint away.

[it is a plastic muskie bait. I would like to foil it. Dont know if carrying the exra weight will f*** it up. It can be trolled or cranked down and twitched. Thanks.

it depends on the size of musky lure. we have re-painted tons over the years. will you give the bait multiple coats of epoxy.?. what lure is it.

george

woodie baits.

It is a DDD, I think it suspends abit. Can be used with a walk the dog action, underwater. Bought two at the Chicago Muskie Show in 2003. Not many were left, had to settle for a couple of odd colors. I was looking thru the few I have, looking at a few that I might attempt to alter. I did a Depthraider a few years back and now it sinks butt first. Still cranks ok though.

I have been taking lots of baits all the way down to the clear plastic however I am using acetone and a clean towel. Splash some on and wait about 10 seconds then rub the paint off. I then wet sand the plastic bait with 400 grit then use a toothbrush under warm water with dish soap. Be very careful with the acetone though if left on too long it will start to melt the plastic and always wear a respairator and gloves (ensure the gloves are compatable with acetone) Good luck and HAVE FUN!

It is a DDD, I think it suspends abit. Can be used with a walk the dog action, underwater. Bought two at the Chicago Muskie Show in 2003. Not many were left, had to settle for a couple of odd colors. I was looking thru the few I have, looking at a few that I might attempt to alter. I did a Depthraider a few years back and now it sinks butt first. Still cranks ok though.

over the years on plastic, we scuff and re-prime then color, then automotive clear coats. theres no real weight gain. oh ya we use lacquers. . on wood lures we use circa, or etex. cutom squirting nils, ukkos, believers we never had a issue with loss of action or weight issues.