jamie

Home Made Eyes

Well i was just getting around to starting this project, made the v former and off to the store for some supplies. I stopped at the hobby shop to buy some paint pens like in the video. I found the pens and something caught my eye. You know those cheap google eyes, The type of 3-d eyes with the movable pupil. I hate those eyes and one of my friends puts these damn things on lures and it looks cheap. But anyway back in the store, I picked up these eyes and was thinking I could stack a couple of metal washers under them and mold them for a templete. Then it hit me,,,,,,,, son of a :censored: there it is. What do you have if you take the back of these cheap eyes and remove the pupil that slides around? I'll tell you what you have is a 3-d lens already made for you. I make musky baits and the size of the eye I needed was 100 for two and a half bucks. So I bought a bag and took them to the house to try them out and they work. You will need to fill in after painting because the eye will dent but you have cheap and unlimited eye source. They are molded like the 3-D eyes you buy and paint up nice.

Edited by jamie

Well i was just getting around to starting this project, made the v former and off to the store for some supplies. I stopped at the hobby shop to buy some paint pens like in the video. I found the pens and something caught my eye. You know those cheap google eyes, The type of 3-d eyes with the movable pupil. I hate those eyes and one of my friends puts these damn things on lures and it looks cheap. But anyway back in the store, I picked up these eyes and was thinking I could stack a couple of metal washers under them and mold them for a templete. Then it hit me,,,,,,,, son of a :censored: there it is. What do you have if you take the back of these cheap eyes and remove the pupil that slides around? I'll tell you what you have is a 3-d lens already made for you. I make musky baits and the size of the eye I needed was 100 for two and a half bucks. So I bought a bag and took them to the house to try them out and they work. You will need to fill in after painting because the eye will dent but you have cheap and unlimited eye source. They are molded like the 3-D eyes you buy and paint up nice.

I'll do you one better, take those pupils that now have no home, place them at nicely spaced intervals on a sheet of aluminum foil, then mix up some Etex or D2T & drop a dab over each pupil. Once dry, use a sharp exacto knife & cut the eyes out of the sheet. Now you have twice the number of eyes for an extra ounce of epoxy :D

Get two hole punches one a 1/4 inch and the other an 1/8 punch out whatever color of soda can green for mountain dew with the 1/4 inch punch then punch out a coke can for a red pupil with the 1/8 inch punch put them together and put a drop of devcon on top the little ridge from the hole punch will hold the epoxy on the piece and it will set up just like the ones you buy .

This was covered a while ago

Hope this helps

George

Jamie- I tried the soft 'google eye' caps last week and when heated a little (to get rid of bubbles and set epoxy) they melted- I also tried the same in hard caps (1/4"), they performed much better, are more round , and appear to be the same as those offered for $3.50 a pair on the taxidermy site.

The lure pictured has a set which worked OK, but I think the paint still need's a little more refinement!!!!!. pete

Edited by hazmail

Jamie- I tried the soft 'google eye' caps last week and when heated a little (to get rid of bubbles and set epoxy) they melted- I also tried the same in hard caps (1/4"), they performed much better, are more round , and appear to be the same as those offered for $3.50 a pair on the taxidermy site.

The lure pictured has a set which worked OK, but I think the paint still need's a little more refinement!!!!!. pete

Thanks for the info pete, I guess the one thing the google eyes would be good for is practice painting for a cheap throw away material. Pete just wondering were you heat setting with? The $3.50 is a minor cost its just not having the eyes on hand and waiting for them to be shipped when your wanting to finish up. I will try some other options if this dosnt work for me. Thanks for your valuable input.

Hazmail,

Just curious. I'm not sure what you mean by hard caps. Are they something you picked up at a craft place or are you saying that it is a taxidermy eye? Just curious because I have been trying to find something too that is cheaper than the tax eyes but still look good. I was really hoping jamie had hit it with those googly eyes.

Hazmail,

Just curious. I'm not sure what you mean by hard caps. Are they something you picked up at a craft place or are you saying that it is a taxidermy eye? Just curious because I have been trying to find something too that is cheaper than the tax eyes but still look good. I was really hoping jamie had hit it with those googly eyes.

Dan- yes there are two types, the plastic ones Janie is using which are flexible, and a much harder type, they look the same in the packs so you have to squeeze them and see. I suspect it's the same as the Tax ones but @ about $5 for 50, not $3.50 a pair.

Jamie I have been using a 60 watt reflector lamp to heat the epoxy to get air bubbles out, it is not that hot but it softened the plastic eyes and then they collapsed.Pete

Edited by hazmail

Dan- yes there are two types, the plastic ones Janie is using which are flexible, and a much harder type, they look the same in the packs so you have to squeeze them and see. I suspect it's the same as the Tax ones but @ about $5 for 50, not $3.50 a pair.

Jamie I have been using a 60 watt reflector lamp to heat the epoxy to get air bubbles out, it is not that hot but it softened the plastic eyes and then they collapsed.Pete

Pete did you put a filler in the lens to make it solid?

Edited by jamie

this is another idea.

you can find little clear self adhesive soft-ish plastic feet for the bottom of items to be placed on hard surfaces, these come on a sheet of wax paper. you could trace the diameter onto another sheet of paper, then paint the eye detail in the circle you have traced. after dry, place the foot sticky side down onto the paint, and cut it out.

these would be glued onto the bait. nice thing is they are tuff and flexi. theye are a bit large, but i think pike, musky, LMB, stripers, lake trout etc. lures would work well with this method.

i have not tried it yet, let me know if you do how it works.

Shaun