Guest Anonymous

Removing bubbles from Top Coat

Guest Anonymous

This is a method used in rod making as well as in my surfboard making days:

When your epoxy top coat is wet.... before you put the lure on the turner, if you take a torch and just "QUICKLY!!!!!" flash each side through the flame once.... your bubbles will outgass from the finish immediately.

NOW DONT BURN UP YE WORKS OF ART!!!! The key is "Once" and "Quickly".

Mix up a little batch of epoxy on a stiring stick with plenty of bubbles in it....flame it and watch them rise out as quick as the flame passes.

Dont over do it.

Take Care

Chip :D

Guest Anonymous

I nail dot all my eyes, but were you using 20 min or greater epoxy?

If so, i use a propane torch. maybe thats the difference. I never tried to use a lighter?

Hope it helps, but it works 100% of the time for me.

Chip

The one real problem that you could have with Devcon is that heat causes it to cure quicker. To much heat causes gasses to form along with bubbles that were not there to begin with. If it gets too hot too quick then the epoxy really thickens and the gasses and bubbles will become trapped making the finish look really bad.

Skeeter

Guest Anonymous

:D

Yah ... We all have good methods. Certainly if you are using an open torch you should be careful with the flame.

The reason in rod building, fiber glassing with clear finish, lure making that you use a torch is because it provides an instantainious heat that is localized and outgasses the bubble. A hair dryer or even a hot air gun would warm the epoxy causing it to cure like skeeter said. This would creat a messy and uneven finish.

Like I indicated in my instructions.... The key is QUICK!!! (emphasized) and across the lure once.

Yawll takey care!

Chip :D

All sound like great suggestions. I can't get Devcon up here in the North, so I use Envirotex Lite. I will try any/all of these great suggestions.

The first time I had bubbles in my topcoat I almost had a coronary. I read the small print directions in the Envirotex box and they suggested Exhaling(blowing) gently on the surface and the CO2 from your breath would bring the bubbles to surface & pop. Worked like magic but there is one drawback.....Comments from the wife about "all that HOT air being put to good use"!!!

BTW. This site is THE most helpful lure site EVER!

The Fish'n Technician

The Fishin Technician has it correct. It's the carbon dioxide from the flame that disperses the bubbles. I usually breathe into the cup while I am mixing the epoxy. I have caused bubbles to appear by getting the clear too hot after it is applied. Don't rush it. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby!!!! Use the slowest epoxy you can and it will disperse most bubbles on it's own.