mainbutter

What Power Fishing Rod For Your Jointed Swimbaits?

Well I've got some jointed swimbaits I'd love to give a shot this next open water season.

I weighed 'em in at 1.85 oz. about.

However when I was looking at rods at Cabelas, the only rods with that weight rating were basically all pool cue stiff musky rods, the kinds of things I throw mag dawgs and pounders around with.

Are fishing poles all basically underrated for lure weight??? For those of you fishing your jointed swimbaits, what kind of rod do you use?

I have been throwing mine on my Fenwick Elite Tech Swimbait rods. Most rods are under weighted but you must have the backbone in the rod so that the swimbait doesn't overload the rod on the back cast. You also want a fairly limber tip (compaired to the stout backbone of the rod) Throw them on 20lb Flouro (minimum) The good thing about the Elite Tech Swimbait rods is that they are EXCELLENT Flipping/Carolina/Punching rods I will also throw a 3/4oz crankbait on it. SO don't just go buy a rod with the sole purpose of the swimbait. Give the elite techs a look the are very versitile.

Well I've got some jointed swimbaits I'd love to give a shot this next open water season.

I weighed 'em in at 1.85 oz. about.

However when I was looking at rods at Cabelas, the only rods with that weight rating were basically all pool cue stiff musky rods, the kinds of things I throw mag dawgs and pounders around with.

Are fishing poles all basically underrated for lure weight??? For those of you fishing your jointed swimbaits, what kind of rod do you use?

I never thought about rods being underrated...hmm.gif...cool. that makes me feel better. I use a Bass Pro Shops 7' 6" flippin stick i think its the tourney special, it is rated from three eights of an ounce to two onces so thats what i use. The best thing about it is that it only cost around $50 bucks that way you don't have to break the bank in this economy.

Edited by DeltaMan

I fish alot of swimbaits that size (triple trout style and slammer style) and I am always looking for a deal. On tacklewarehouse.com they have a good price on the Daiwa heartland series rods.. like $65.. those are good rods... but the best rod I have bought fro these style baits believe it or not is the BPS graphite series heavy 7'6" flippin stick.. its a $35 rod. Alot of people laugh and say they will break but I have two i use for swimbaits up to 2 oz and the IM6 graphite has a nice med parabolic action and they havent broke yet. I have over 20 10+ stripers and a ton of nice 5+ largemouth on one of the rods and havent had a problem at all. I use 20-25lb mono/flouro and this rod has worked to perfection. I have even converted some of my buddies from there expensive "top of the line" rods.. i mean at $35 its hard to beat.. and if you do snap it they will replace it.. but im goin on two seasons and it hasent happend to me yet. hope this helps

Ceaser

There are a ton of great rods out there.

And all of them can do the job.

Being able to cast a swimbait with accuracy, and with distance, are the hallmarks of a good swimbait rod. They are all powerful enough to handle big bass and strippers.

But swimbaits don't require the degree of superior performance that other techniques, like drop shot or cranking, call for in a rod.

I own a bunch of swimbait rods, from BPS flipping sticks to Shimano Crucials and Terras.

If I had it to do over, I'd only buy the Okuma Guide Select swimbait rods.

They are $109+- at Tacklewarehouse, and ship for free.

They are light, have great actions, and have a lifetime warranty. I know, because I snapped off a tip when I caught it under a bracket.

No hassle replacement direct from Okuma. One week turnaround, if I recall.

I use a 7'6" med. heavy for smaller swimbaits, and for Punkers and bigger top waters.

I use a 7'11" med heavy for 3-4 oz. swimbaits, and a 7'11" heavy for 5oz and up, like my 10" joint baits, or Hudleston deluxe 8".

No need to spend more.

I tried the Diawa Heartland rod, and found it was too limber for me for accurate casting. To me, it's more of a salmon bounce back rod, for deep trolling weighted baits.

I returned it to Tacklewarehouse, and was given a refund, no questions asked. A really class outfit.

I would offer this advice. Don't overcomplicate it.

KISS

"Keep it simple, stupid"

And cheap, if it gets you the same result.

Edited by mark poulson

Mark has said it best, and his reference to "KISS" is right on. I have several swimbait rods as everyone else here has said. My best two rods are one that I built and an Okuma 7' 11" swimbait rod. These rods were built just for swimbaits and have the qualities that Mark has defined. This not to say that the other rods mentioned so far will not do the job. Whatever works for you. The main thing is to get out there and keep those swimbaits wet.

David