Markell

Drying wheel help

What would be the best approach? I have a rotisserie motor and the square pole that it came with. I see two options: I could cut about 1 inch of the metal pole and glue it in the tip of a dowel. Since the dowel is made of wood, this gives me quite a few options for attaching the baits. The other idea I had was to use JB Weld and attach alligator clips to the metal rod. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Check out this site and maybe it will help.

http://www.feather-craft.com/2003XMAs/fcpage.asp?page=12

I took the square rod and cut off about 3 inches. Then I took the part of the spit that you use to skewer the chicken (2 prong fork looks like this -[ ) and attached it to the 3 inch piece of square rod. I went to the local craft store and bought a styrofoam circle and pushed the circle onto the spit. Alligator clips were easy to come by and I took some quilting pins from my wife (the ones with the little BB size heads) and used 5 minute epoxy to glue the pins to the alligator clips. It works great. I tie a bunch of expoxy head flies and the alligator clips are perfect for holding the fly while I apply the epoxy.

Troutbum, I ended up cutting about 3 inches off the square metal rod and glueing it into a large wooden dowel. I drilled holes in the dowel for 24 smaller dowels that are slit at the ends. I use a small screw and a wing nut to secure the bait in these slits. I got this idea from a picture I saw on this site. I tried the alligator clips but they did not give me a hold I was comfortable with. I needed it to be strong enough to hold a 1 1/2 oz. spinner bait. I have been very pleased with it. My only regret is that my smaller dowels are not spaced far enough apart. This makes it a little tricky to put a bait on and not touch the one beside it.