FishingBuds

Swim Bait Mold

I've not been real big on plastic swim baits. The ones of tried over the counter haven't impressed me,

I seen a Bob's Baby-e mold for sale recently and it looked good, so I was wondering about a good swim bait(mold) for Bass and what you all recommend from experience, cause I have no Idea?

I'd like to have one that is not prone to roll easy, This is what has annoyed me in the past, I'd like for it to stay right side up and can do some killer magic in the water, I'm not particular with size right now But the ones I have tried in the past were small so maybe a bigger one might be the trick? Interested in aluminum molds, hand or inject is fine either way for me, This is a hobby for me so single cavity is fine.

thanks for any feedback B)

I've not been real big on plastic swim baits. The ones of tried over the counter haven't impressed me,

I seen a Bob's Baby-e mold for sale recently and it looked good, so I was wondering about a good swim bait(mold) for Bass and what you all recommend from experience, cause I have no Idea?

I'd like to have one that is not prone to roll easy, This is what has annoyed me in the past, I'd like for it to stay right side up and can do some killer magic in the water, I'm not particular with size right now But the ones I have tried in the past were small so maybe a bigger one might be the trick? Interested in aluminum molds, hand or inject is fine either way for me, This is a hobby for me so single cavity is fine.

thanks for any feedback B)

Bobs baby e molds [both sizes] make very good baits. But any bait will roll if the plastic is to stiff. It has been my experience that most guys and even the big companys use plastic that is too hard. It causes a problem because in order to get the tail kick the bait must be retrieved too fast for the overall weight therefore forcing the bait to run sideways. Just keep in mind the softer the plastic the slower you can retrieve the bait. Yeah they may not last as long or get tore up by the fish, but at least they got bit....... I use soft plastic and even super soft on the smaller baits.

What I did when I got the swimbait bug in '07 was to buy a few different types to try. I made molds of some of them (not for retail). I caught fish on almost every swimbait I tried but realized that I was not in California and needed to come back to earth and fish something of reasonable size. I've since designed a couple of my own that fit my style of fishing and my waters. I suggest you try some baits before you buy a mold. :twocents:

I never thought of the harder vs a softer plastic ?? That kinda makes sense to me for a newby lol.

I'd like to buy a few and try, I'd like to try and stay with a product that has a mold for it & service, Its all hobbie stuff for me and my son. as for making a mold, I have never done that and at this point not intrested.

The size and shape of the tail seems to effect how readily they "swim:" without rolling. Because I use them in salt water, and am using bigger sizes and harder plastic, I try for a tail which is fairly large in proportion to the bait.

I never thought of the harder vs a softer plastic ?? That kinda makes sense to me for a newby lol.

I'd like to buy a few and try, I'd like to try and stay with a product that has a mold for it & service, Its all hobbie stuff for me and my son. as for making a mold, I have never done that and at this point not intrested.

Both molds work great. I bought both sizes. What really makes the bait swim is the insert that is moloded in the bait as added keel weight and for the line to slide through. They are pricy. i have tried mojo weights with OK results. The only problem with that style insert is when you set the hook it tends to push the weight out of the bait. I over came that with glue. After I pour the part i glue the weight in. I have experimented with pop rivets. I went to Home Depot and bought differnt size pop rivets with a domed head. I drive the pins out of the pop rivet and wind on about 2" of .062 solder on the barrel of the pop rivet. Staying away from the domed end about 1/8". When I put the pop rivet in the mold I put the domed end on the hook side. The mushroom shape of the end of the rivet makes it hard to be pulled through the bait. It also adds weight.If I get a chance I will post a few pictures. I want to try lead foil next. With out the weight of the insert these syle line thru swim baits don't swim as well as I thought. That's just my opnion. But you can make some awsome looking baits with this mold. Being open multi colors come out great. i use regular super soft plastic.

I haven't tried hardner in the baits yet. That's on my to do list now.

Edited by Ed Brabant

Both molds work great. I bought both sizes. What really makes the bait swim is the insert that is moloded in the bait as added keel weight and for the line to slide through. They are pricy. i have tried mojo weights with OK results. The only problem with that style insert is when you set the hook it tends to push the weight out of the bait. I over came that with glue. After I pour the part i glue the weight in. I have experimented with pop rivets. I went to Home Depot and bought differnt size pop rivets with a domed head. I drive the pins out of the pop rivet and wind on about 2" of .062 solder on the barrel of the pop rivet. Staying away from the domed end about 1/8". When I put the pop rivet in the mold I put the domed end on the hook side. The mushroom shape of the end of the rivet makes it hard to be pulled through the bait. It also adds weight.If I get a chance I will post a few pictures. I want to try lead foil next. With out the weight of the insert these syle line thru swim baits don't swim as well as I thought. That's just my opnion. But you can make some awsome looking baits with this mold. Being open multi colors come out great. i use regular super soft plastic.

I haven't tried hardner in the baits yet. That's on my to do list now.

Thanks for the feed back Ed, and yea if ya get a chance post the pics of the rivets on how ya did, I for one will soak up the info :) and back to the baby-e, it definitely worked on me, I like the style it shows and the rigging, maybe I will try and pick one of those baits up next month and check them out hands on B)

Thanks for the feed back Ed, and yea if ya get a chance post the pics of the rivets on how ya did, I for one will soak up the info :) and back to the baby-e, it definitely worked on me, I like the style it shows and the rigging, maybe I will try and pick one of those baits up next month and check them out hands on B)

Fishingbuds.... Send me your address and I will send you a baby e to check out. I have the mold from Bob and the inserts he sells. I am sure I have a few laying around OR I can dig out my molds and pour you a couple up.

Jim

PS.. I have the smaller mold, the 3 3/4" version.

Edited by ghostbaits

If you change your mind about making your own molds, it is really easy.

http://makelure.com/howtos.cfm

I agree, the softer the plastic, the better they will swim. I also suggest that most commercial baits in the smaller sizes are not properly ballest weighted, causing them to roll.

I like larger tails, with paddes top and bottom, softer plastic, more bottom weight, and ............... You get the idea.