allstate48

Top Coating Question

I've covered a lot of glide baits, but never one with a bill.I've always rotated the baits on a drying wheel. How do I cover the lure, and not the bill. If I cover the bill with blue tape, when do I take it off? Thanks Doug

I'm not sure what you mean by "covering". If you mean with paint, what I do is glue my lip or bill in before I seal the bait. After the bait is sealed I cover the bill with blue tape and paint the bait. Then I take the tape off and clear it with etex. Alot of guys paint the bait before they glue in the bill then they don't have to worry about taping off the bill while you paint. I just like the smoother look IMO of sealing over the bill before I paint. Alot of people think that I mold my baits because of this. Hope I answered what you were asking.

Pouring on epoxy? Don't you have a huge amount of waste epoxy? Anyway, I brush on Devcon. It's considerably thicker than Etex and I don't think pouring it is an option. It's easy enough to brush it around the lip - you want to seal the lip margin with epoxy but not get it too far out on the lip.