spidergrub6

The Deep Crank Challenge

Someone had mentioned that they would like to see an x-ray of a DT-16. I don't have an x-ray but I do have a cut-away view.

Inside the red line is the actual weight. It is molded to the shape of the lower front belly and weighs approximately 1/2 oz. Inside of the yellow line is a plastic piece that contains a hollow channel (designated by the green line) that holds a rectangular block of lead. This block is capable of moving side-to-side in that plastic channel. The second photo shows the "finished" side of the weight.

Gene

DT-16 Autopsy.jpg

DT-16 Weight.jpg

DT-16 Autopsy.jpg

DT-16 Weight.jpg

DT-16 Autopsy.jpg

DT-16 Weight.jpg

DT-16 Autopsy.jpg

DT-16 Weight.jpg

DT-16 Autopsy.jpg

DT-16 Weight.jpg

DT-16 Autopsy.jpg

DT-16 Weight.jpg

DT-16 Autopsy.jpg

DT-16 Weight.jpg

DT-16 Autopsy.jpg

DT-16 Weight.jpg

post-11286-1264116675_thumb.jpg

post-11286-126411669298_thumb.jpg

I've never thrown a Dredger but read about it and some other deep cranks in a Tackle Tour crankbait shootout published recently. Give it a read at http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdeepdivers.html I wish the TT guys had included more deep divers. Oh well, maybe next time.

Hmm - a deep diver that looks like a $7 DT-16 but with lead on the lip.... Hey Ollie! Pass the adhesive lead golf tape! (actually, I like my cranks to float) :rolleyes:

@ Iron Bass

That "Dredger" crankbait appears to be a sinking lure rather than a floating deep diver , so it does not have the important feature to let it bounce off obstacles on bottom and climb again , when neccessary .

But nevertheless a clever design for a deep water column and/or ploughing deep , plane and snagless bottoms .

Thanks for posting , ........greetz , diemai :yay:

Someone had mentioned that they would like to see an x-ray of a DT-16. I don't have an x-ray but I do have a cut-away view.

Inside the red line is the actual weight. It is molded to the shape of the lower front belly and weighs approximately 1/2 oz. Inside of the yellow line is a plastic piece that contains a hollow channel (designated by the green line) that holds a rectangular block of lead. This block is capable of moving side-to-side in that plastic channel. The second photo shows the "finished" side of the weight.

Gene

Thanks for posting that . . . very interesting. I don't really get the purpose of the block in the plastic channel, though (?) I'm surprised at how far the lip material extends into the body of the lure.

I'm with Bob on the BassStar. I don't really understand the purpose of that design - - I want my lipped cranks to float. If I need to go super deep with a crank I'll throw a lipless bait, which has the added benefit of being able to be worked vertically and horizontally, and not just pulled across the bottom.

Edited by Stringjam

Thanks for posting that . . . very interesting. I don't really get the purpose of the block in the plastic channel, though (?) I'm surprised at how far the lip material extends into the body of the lure.

I'm with Bob on the BassStar. I don't really understand the purpose of that design - - I want my lipped cranks to float. If I need to go super deep with a crank I'll throw a lipless bait, which has the added benefit of being able to be worked vertically and horizontally, and not just pulled across the bottom.

String, the little block is the rattle. The post is 1/4" and it does extend into the bait quite a distance but where it meets the flat portion of the lip it is very narrow and thin. The line tie does not extend into the bait making a weak spot right at the junction of the bait and the lip. I like the action but all four of them I bought were broken in less than two hours. Two were broken running them into structure and the other two were broken by bass, I did however land the lip but the bass left with the bait.

If you break one you can get hold of the post and with a couple of twists back and forth it will slide out and is easily replaced with a stronger lip, then you have a great bait. It appears to be held in with hot glue and very little of it.

That cutaway pic is really nice, Gene. Thanks!

Interesting to see how far forward the ballast is positioned. String, I guess the plastic chamber with lead is a subtle rattle chamber, doing double duty as additional ballast. And that long root on the lip insures very consistent lip alignment and a strong installation, plus provides added strength to the balsa body. You gotta hand it to Rapala, they know how to design mass production wood baits!