fishinguitars

Just Getting Started

Hello everyone...I've been browsing this site for months now and I can't tell you how much it amazes me how talented the lure makers and painters are on this site.

I finally started buying equipment to get started painting lures with plans to start making my own soon. A few weeks ago I purchased a Badger 180-1 compresser from craigslist for 30 bucks. Then this weekend I got two airbrushes for 10 dollars a piece a badger 100 LG and a Paasche model V. I'm hoping that these will be enough to get me started with the basics. Do you think the combo of compressor and brushes should work good for painting lures?

My next question is what airbrush paints are easiest to start with, and what primer and clear coat do most of you use. I plan on starting by sanding a bunch of my old Rogues and painting the patterns I've been thinking about for over a decade.

Any advice or tips for someone just getting started would be great too!

Tight lines,

Eric

Yeah, I think your setup will work OK. It takes some practice and experience to begin getting what you want out of an airbrush. It's best to start out with airbrush paint, which is formulated to shoot well through airbrushes (it has smaller pigment grains, flow enhancers). Since your airbrushes have fairly large tips, you can try cheaper "hobby acrylics" like Apple Barrel if you are on a tight budget, and if you don't mind thinning them with water as you shoot them. To repaint plastic baits, I sand the original finish to remove any blemishes and give the surface some "tooth", shoot a white acrylic basecoat to hide it, then shoot color. Topcoat with the proper epoxy or a polyurethane like Dick Nite.

If your just getting started in airbushing my best advice is practice before you break out you first lure. Learn control and proper thinning of paints. There is nothing more stressful than working on a lure and not knowing how to use your brush. There are some great tuts on you tube and they are worth checking out. You need to learn to walk before you can run.... :yay:

If your just getting started in airbushing my best advice is practice before you break out you first lure. Learn control and proper thinning of paints. There is nothing more stressful than working on a lure and not knowing how to use your brush. There are some great tuts on you tube and they are worth checking out. You need to learn to walk before you can run.... yay.gif

Thanks guys.....So far its been pretty tough learning how to use the airbrushes. I'm thinking my air compresser is to weak and thats why I'm having a really hard time getting a good stream out of either one of the brushes. I'm using createx water based paint could that also been an issue why I'm having such a hard time getting a consistent stream of paint out of the brushes.

absolutely not! all i use is createx and i dont thin it and it shoots fine. and trust me im not he only one here who uses createx and most of use dont thin it. most airbrushes can operate fine with somewhere between 20 to 40 psi. make sure ur compressor has a regulator and use that to adjust the air to a desired pressure. make sure the brush is clean and has no clogs. hopefully u dont have a bent needle. ive found that the only time my iwata has a hard time spraying a solid stream is either when it needs cleaning or if a turn the psi down and adjust the amount of paint coming out the brush too low.

hopefully this helps.

oh, and if ur compressor is made by badger, then i cant see it being to weak. that compressor is designed for use with airbrushes, so start with the regulator and go from there.

Edited by fivefishwish