fatfingers

Double Syringe For Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy

Since that dark day when Walmart quit carrying Devcon 2 ton epoxy, I've started buying Devcon 2 ton in quantity. I buy the 9 oz stuff.

Problem: Where to find a cheap dual-syringe to facilitate ease of application.

I often mix only a small quantity and the dual-syringe is the most accurate way to do that.

Anyone know of a source for double-syringes other than buying the Devcon in the one ounce package and using the syringe over again? (The syringe that comes with the 1 ounce package does not like to be used again...you can do it, but it is difficult and the handle will break easily.)

?

@FF

I've tried to preserve a double 2ton syringe , managed to clean it pretty good but this move ruined all my work as after I filled them up somehow the substance managed to find a way out even with the cap on. So I thought lets place them upside-down, yet a bigger mistake, as it seems the trigger was not perfectly attached to the recipient and I've lost a good amount over there too.

Even so if the cap was to be perfectly attached to the recipient I could have run into troubles as I wouldn't have known about the trigger not having a good bond with the recipient and the air entering on this door changing the 2ton properties.

It is not fun doing the job twice but you can buy normal syringes with gradations on them and pour the devcon separatly or find a way to bond them together. :)

Found this place online fatfingers. Scroll down to where it says "Construction" and click on "more". Then scroll down to where it says "2-K Syringes" and click on "more" again. It was the only place I've found so far. If this doesn't work let me know and I'll look again. Also let me know if the link doesn't work and I'll try something else.

Ben

http://www.sulzerchemtech.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-3112/

Hey, wait a minute! Maybe I'm missing something but how would you use a linked double syringe if you're drawing resin and hardener separately from 2 bottles of Devcon? I say buy a pair of separate syringes like those sold for rod finish. When I used to wrap rods, they warned against using medical syringes because they may contain silicone that could cause fish eyes in the cured epoxy. Hmm - I wonder about that - does that mean Doc is injecting patients with silicone every time they give a shot? Doesn't seem likely. I use the 9 oz bottle set Devcon and just squeeze the bottles into the mix container at the same time to yield two equal size pools of resin and hardener. So far, no failures. I believe the main problems with Devcon arise from inadequate mixing.

Hey, wait a minute! Maybe I'm missing something but how would you use a linked double syringe if you're drawing resin and hardener separately from 2 bottles of Devcon? I say buy a pair of separate syringes like those sold for rod finish. When I used to wrap rods, they warned against using medical syringes because they may contain silicone that could cause fish eyes in the cured epoxy. Hmm - I wonder about that - does that mean Doc is injecting patients with silicone every time they give a shot? Doesn't seem likely. I use the 9 oz bottle set Devcon and just squeeze the bottles into the mix container at the same time to yield two equal size pools of resin and hardener. So far, no failures. I believe the main problems with Devcon arise from inadequate mixing.

Actually, I don't draw the resin and hardener. I simply remove the plunger and fill up each side of the re-used double syringe from the 9 ounce bottle.

Like I said though, the problem is that the used double-syringe is not user-friendly. That plunger does NOT like to be removed. Was really hoping to locate a cheap US source for a replacement double-syringe.

I've also tried the thing where you squeeze equal amounts out and it works ok, but I do not like the lack of precision doing it that way because if you fail to achieve something close to a 50/50 mix the stuff will not harden. Can't risk that when planting hook hangers in musky baits. I guess I'll just have to continue buying Devcon 2 ton in the 1 ounce package and using the old syringe over again/

Thanks for the responses though.

Vince -I mixed 2X2 Ml this morning, I have been using them for a while and have not had a tacky mixes yet, very accurate - just drill a couple of tight holes in the caps and insert the syringe nozzle, turn upside down to fill and gets rid of the air bubbles. I got the syringes from a rod making outlet, they use them for thread sealer.

Not my idea, someone posted it ages ago, probably on 'Surftalk'..Pete

Vince

Flexcoat sells syringes with 3ml or 12ml volumes. The have graduated marks and make accurate measuring a piece of cake. I use Etex and I just drilled holes in the caps and leave the syringes in the caps when not in use. Its very easy to do and makes for a great way to not lose your syringes!

There is also a company that makes special caps that hold syringes (for rodbuilding) and they fit the Etex bottles. I'm not sure what size the bottles of Devcon are but they may work for you. I think the company is Backlash Tools.

jeremy

Vince

Flexcoat sells syringes with 3ml or 12ml volumes. The have graduated marks and make accurate measuring a piece of cake. I use Etex and I just drilled holes in the caps and leave the syringes in the caps when not in use. Its very easy to do and makes for a great way to not lose your syringes!

There is also a company that makes special caps that hold syringes (for rodbuilding) and they fit the Etex bottles. I'm not sure what size the bottles of Devcon are but they may work for you. I think the company is Backlash Tools.

jeremy

Guys I have been using syringes 2 ea while using etex and it is the slickest system. I see no reason why it won't work for Devcon. Go to wally world and into the infant section for medication. You will see a (very strong) syringe sold with a rubber cap that will fit tightly on most any size container (it is a graduated stopper and just press fits). This is used to very accurately measure infant med's. I bought 2 and removed the screw on lids for my 16 oz etex bottles. replace the lids with these rubber stoppers that has a hole in the top with a rubber cap. I marked my hardener cap with black marker and the syringe i ONLY use for hardener with a corrisponding Black mark on the plunger. I also replaced the cap catalist with the other rubber cap. These caps have a hole the is only designed for the syringe to penitrate and draw liquid out then seals itself. When mixing up a batch I simply insert the syringe into the hardener flip the bottle upside down and draw out an EXACT 1 mil of hardener which I then squirt onto the bottom of a spray paint can. Then I take the Catalist syringe and do the same and then squirt the EXACT 1 mil into the Hardener I already measured, then mix and use. I then clean my brush and paint can bottom with Acetone or Denatured alcohol. I have absolutely NO waste and very little to clean up. VERY SLICK AND ALMOST NO MESS! Best $1.76 ea I have spent ;)

Since that dark day when Walmart quit carrying Devcon 2 ton epoxy, I've started buying Devcon 2 ton in quantity. I buy the 9 oz stuff.

I often mix only a small quantity and the dual-syringe is the most accurate way to do that.

Anyone know of a source for double-syringes other than buying the Devcon in the one ounce package and using the syringe over again? (The syringe that comes with the 1 ounce package does not like to be used again...you can do it, but it is difficult and the handle will break easily.)

?

I found the best way is just turn the bottles up and allow equal lines side by side ...works great for me

"Hey, wait a minute! Maybe I'm missing something but how would you use a linked double syringe if you're drawing resin and hardener separately from 2 bottles of Devcon?"

Actually, I'm not "drawing" the resin and hardener. I"m simply removing the handle from the original double syringe that comes with the off-the-shelf package and re-using it. I pour hardener into one side and the resin into the other from the bigger 9 ounce container. The problem is that it is difficult to remove the handle and it can only be re-used once or twice for all practical purposes.

Just to clarify my original post...I'm aware that one can mix Devcon on a pop can, but I prefer to not have to essentially guess at the 50/50 mix. If the mix is wrong for any reason, and you get a 'tacky' mix, the strength is compromised. That would spell disaster when gluing in the lip onto musky baits and even perhaps the screw eyes for the hook hangers. The musky baits are subjected to a lot more torture than bass/walleye baits because of the trolling speeds and the torque generated by the weight of the fish.

I also prefer the double syringe as a matter of convenience, which is why I inquired about a supplier. I know you can get single syringes from a variety of sources, but the doubles are pretty slick and so far, they seem to have the accuracy of mix that I'm looking for.

I thank all who tried to contribute ideas though. That is what makes this place great.:D

Here is a link for purchasaing dual cartridges. Also, you could attach a static mixer to the cartridge, so as the material comes out it is mixed. The only drawback is that you waste all the material that is left in the static mixer.

I know that it is measured by voluume, I wonder if it were measured by weight, how close you would be?

http://www.staticmixerdispenser.com/main/cartridges.html

Here's a source for Flexcoat Syringes:

http://www.mudhole.com/Sandbox/Flexcoat-12cc-Syringes

Drill a snug fitting hole in the top of each component bottle (the syringe tips are slightly tapered) and just leave the syringes wedged in when not in use.

When you want to mix, turn the bottle upside down, load as much as you need, turn it back right side up, and remove the syringe.

Since I went to this Flexcoat Syringe system, thanks to someone here on T.U., I haven't had a bad batch of 2 part epoxy.

I prefer the single syringes to a double, because I've found that the two components are different consistencies, and can lead to uneven amounts, even though the plungers are connected.

Edited by mark poulson

There are a number of sources for epoxy syringes from Rod building sites. I use them in conjunction with new Self-Sealing Bottle Cap Syringe Inserts for the tops of the bottles. The inserts work great and I can just leave the syringe standing in the top of the bottle or remove them and put the cap back on the syringes. They also sell 1/2cc pumps which I use in my Etex bottles. I am not pushing any one site but just wanted to say there are options if you are buying the larger bottles of Devcon and you don't like using Yorker caps to just squeeze it out.

Hmmm? Is there any reason why we can't just make our own? Epoxy two syringes together then something to bridge the plungers???? Seems like a quick fix.

I find that the epoxy in one or other of the syringes always seems to settle back and needs to be purged of air. where this epoxy goes, I have no idea as the tubes were full when I leave them. fixing the tubes together would be a disadvantage. I also think that the individual syringes are easier to control.

Dave

"Hey, wait a minute! Maybe I'm missing something but how would you use a linked double syringe if you're drawing resin and hardener separately from 2 bottles of Devcon?"

Actually, I'm not "drawing" the resin and hardener. I"m simply removing the handle from the original double syringe that comes with the off-the-shelf package and re-using it. I pour hardener into one side and the resin into the other from the bigger 9 ounce container. The problem is that it is difficult to remove the handle and it can only be re-used once or twice for all practical purposes.

Just to clarify my original post...I'm aware that one can mix Devcon on a pop can, but I prefer to not have to essentially guess at the 50/50 mix. If the mix is wrong for any reason, and you get a 'tacky' mix, the strength is compromised. That would spell disaster when gluing in the lip onto musky baits and even perhaps the screw eyes for the hook hangers. The musky baits are subjected to a lot more torture than bass/walleye baits because of the trolling speeds and the torque generated by the weight of the fish.

I also prefer the double syringe as a matter of convenience, which is why I inquired about a supplier. I know you can get single syringes from a variety of sources, but the doubles are pretty slick and so far, they seem to have the accuracy of mix that I'm looking for.

I thank all who tried to contribute ideas though. That is what makes this place great.:D

?

Since walmart stopped selling this, I went to a different clearcoat and I was not happy with it, so I ordered the 9 oz bottles and did some research while waiting for it to arrive. I wanted to weigh it out instead of messing with the syringes. The technical data says 1:1 ratio either by volume or weight.

Color - Clear

Mixed Viscosity- 8,000 cps

Mix Ratio by Volume- 1:1

Mix Ratio by Weight- 1:1

Mixed Density- 9.17 lbs/gal.: 1.10 gm/cc

Working Time- 8-12 min. (28 gm @ 72°F)

Fixture Time- 30-35 min. @ 72°F

Functional Cure- 2 hrs. @ 72°F

Full Cure- 12 hrs.

Service Temperature-Dry, -40°F to 200°F

I know this is not really a answer to your question, but perhaps another option.

P.S.- I picked up a cheap scale at Harbor Freight.

Hope this helps.

Todd