Kris

Sand Bad Spot Out Of Dn ?

Finally got around to using DN and decided to brush it on like some do and hung it up to dry. After it set up I noticed a bump/ wave on one side of the lure where it didn't settle. I think it was due to brushing it on too thick maybe.

Can I use wet/dry sandpaper to sand down the blemish and re-coat?

You can sand it down and then apply another coat of DN and the second coat will fill in any marks left by the sanding. Just be careful not to sand down so far you get into the paint. If your brushing the DN on you will probably need to put the bait on a lure turner to dry. The guys that dip their lures hang them tail down so that any excess will run to the tail of the bait. This insures a smooth, even coat on the bait. Not sure how this would work when the DN is being brushed on, but you might try it. No doubt others with more experience will chime in on this.

Ben

You can sand it down and then apply another coat of DN and the second coat will fill in any marks left by the sanding. Just be careful not to sand down so far you get into the paint. If your brushing the DN on you will probably need to put the bait on a lure turner to dry. The guys that dip their lures hang them tail down so that any excess will run to the tail of the bait. This insures a smooth, even coat on the bait. Not sure how this would work when the DN is being brushed on, but you might try it. No doubt others with more experience will chime in on this.

Ben

I brushed DN on heavy to 36 sebile magic swimmer knock offs in three sizes and hung tail down and they did excellent, dryed with an even coat and shine.

click to enlarge thumb

mineq.th.jpg

This link is an another example of the technique.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9962/mskx.jpg

Edited by Piscivorous Pike

You can sand out a problem area of DN and recoat but I'd give it at least a full day (and maybe several) before applying another coat. How long to wait between coats of DN hasn't really been well documented as far as I know. I wonder if DN is like some solvent based primers that you can either recoat within an hour or two, or you have to wait for at least 24 hrs. I usually get more glitches with a second coat so I just dip once on bass baits.

Since you wet sanded the bad spot is there a possibility you sanded completely through the top coat and allowed moisture from the wet sanding pad to get under the top coat that was left? I have dry sanded both DN and E-Tex and did not have a problem like you describe and they both came out as if I had never sanded them.

Ben