rhahn427

How Do You Make Floating Jigheads

Ok ......... I cast lead and pour plastics .......... but how do your make floating jig heads ......... Is there a tutorial ......... what molding materials do you use ......... what foam do you use ......... do you need a mold release ........ what do you have to look out for ......... etc?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Rik

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKE-YOUR-OWN-FLOATING-JIGS-LURES-JIG-LURE-POLY-STYRENE_W0QQitemZ270508745967QQihZ017QQcategoryZ31690QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem check out this on ebay! I bought this poly styrene from this Gentleman it seems to work great for me. He will give you very detailed instructions on how to make jigs, with your purchase. I use them in the mighty Maumee for springtime walleye. good luck!

i have not found the best way to paint them yet? i have been dipping mine in vinyl paint. then adding a hardener to them. jans net craft has a really good hardener. if anyone has a better way to paint floating jigs please advise! cant wait for the walleye!

Can you dye the stuff b4 you pour it in the molds? Also how much would you charge for some floaters?

Can you dye the stuff b4 you pour it in the molds? Also how much would you charge for some floaters?

Guys, I too used this stuff. It's called expandable styrene. It works great. We used a waterbased craft paint to paint them with. I tried vinyl jig paint but it ate he styrene up. I believe youcan get the water based stuff from Walmart or Hobby Lobby or someplace similar. Hope this helps. JIM

Sorry at the moment i am not setup to make a serious production run of jigs. i just make a few for myself and my father. they are not hard to make but a little time consuming. not sure about dying them before hand. i dont think it would work do to the styrene expanding when you Make them.Not sure its worth your time unless you already have the molds for it.i suggest at least having two identical molds maybe three. after you pour the styrene in the mold you have to boil them for 10 to fifteen min. thats why it is time consuming plus paint ect. It is just a hobby and some satisfaction knowing you caught fish on your own jigs! hope this helps good luck!

whalernut

This sounds like some really cool material, but ?? you say once you pour it you hve to boil for 10 minutes?? Are you boiling just the head you pour or putting the whole mold in the water and boiling????

I really see some cool possibilities with this stuff, can you tell us more about it and show some of what your making??? Inquiring minds whant to know. At $13 dollars that's not bad at all.

Fatman

whalernut

This sounds like some really cool material, but ?? you say once you pour it you hve to boil for 10 minutes?? Are you boiling just the head you pour or putting the whole mold in the water and boiling????

I really see some cool possibilities with this stuff, can you tell us more about it and show some of what your making??? Inquiring minds whant to know. At $13 dollars that's not bad at all.

Fatman

Fatman, you need to pour a lead "plug" for your pour holes to cover the holes while the mold is in boiling water. You'll want to remove the wooden handles too, assuming you're using a Do-it mold. The plug get's held in place with a few strong rubber bands. We were doing a round about every 7 minutes. It's a really simple process.You're right, the possiblities are endless.I made football heads,Arky heads. I intend to use them as a floating C-rig type of set-up to drag different baits with. It should be fun at least.JIM