Brshpile

Painting And Epoxying Jointed Swimbaits

Can anyone help me out? I am fixing to paint a jointed swimbait for a friend and was wondering how you guys hold them to paint. I usually use the xacto knife, but with the joints and the flopping around, is there a better way. I dont want the joints hitting each other while painting and clear coating. How do you guys do this without the joints rubbing and ruining the bait. Also, how do you turn the bait on a turner so the joints do not glue together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.....

Can anyone help me out? I am fixing to paint a jointed swimbait for a friend and was wondering how you guys hold them to paint. I usually use the xacto knife, but with the joints and the flopping around, is there a better way. I dont want the joints hitting each other while painting and clear coating. How do you guys do this without the joints rubbing and ruining the bait. Also, how do you turn the bait on a turner so the joints do not glue together. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.....

click to enlarge.

The frame is a coat hanger in a basic "c", tail is hooked directly on the hanger and the nose on a rubber band and paper clip. Tulle netting is draped over the top and held by two tongue depressors and clothes pins, netting to paint scales. After holding it in hand to paint it or set down to paint a side, etc., it can be put on a wheel or hung on a line.

dscn1217.th.jpg

Keeping paint out of the joint hinges is a problem. I use the air brush turned way down and watch where I point it. I tried Vasoline in the hinge too. I hand hold and with a small brush to paint the top coat close to the hinge and then on the main parts I hang verticle and coat heavy with a bigger brush Dick Nite top coat to paint the top coat and let it run off the tail. I am careful not to put it in the hinge. You cannot dip it. When hung verticle it drains away from the hinge.

click thumb to enlarge

mskx.th.jpg

Edited by Piscivorous Pike