Fish Bone Custom Lures

Need Help Please

I just started painting and having a few issues. I did my research and have read countless posts on here and have a few questions? I have two Iwata airbrushes one eclipse HP-CS and the other is a High Proformance HP-c plus and I have a 6hp 20gal air compressor. I am using createx paints. Ok heres my questions.

What psi do you set your compressor at? I have tried anything from 20- 40 psi and it looks like splatter when it hits the bait. When shooting pearls do you shoot it straight out of the bottle or do you use a reducer? Whats the easiest way to feather blends? Do you tape so you dont get paint where you dont want it? Sorry for all the questions......thanks

I shoot at 20-40 psi and use all varieties of Createx straight, no thinning. I use templates for details like gills and craw legs but don't like tape because it makes for a very abrupt color change that doesn't look "natural" to me. If your paint splatters, you either have an airbrush problem (unlikely) or you are shooting at too high a pressure with too little control on the trigger. Paint wants to bounce off the side of the lure and settle downward. So when you paint the shoulders, rotate the top of the bait away from you somewhat so the paint bounces over the top of the lure and not down the side of the bait. Fine lines are shot at lower pressure, with fine trigger control and the airbrush held very close to the bait (closer than you think!). If you use the same setup with the brush held farther away, you get fine shading. Because different paint has different viscosity and shoots differently, I always test shoot on a piece of paper just before the crankbait so I know my finger is applying the right trigger control. Airbrushing takes learning a particular hand/eye coordination and experience to get the results you want. Don't be frustrated, you will continually get better!

I shoot paint from 10-30 psi most it at 15psi I used to get spatter when my paint was to thick .

I believe createx should be good to go right out of the bottle although I will thin mine once in a while to get a thinner washed out color

Try the same paint in all of your guns maybe you have a bent or worn needle or a dirty orifice if it shoots good through one it should in the others too

I would check to see if your gun has a paint flow adjustment and I would turn it down.

I just started painting and having a few issues. I did my research and have read countless posts on here and have a few questions? I have two Iwata airbrushes one eclipse HP-CS and the other is a High Proformance HP-c plus and I have a 6hp 20gal air compressor. I am using createx paints. Ok heres my questions.

What psi do you set your compressor at? I have tried anything from 20- 40 psi and it looks like splatter when it hits the bait. When shooting pearls do you shoot it straight out of the bottle or do you use a reducer? Whats the easiest way to feather blends? Do you tape so you dont get paint where you dont want it? Sorry for all the questions......thanks

I have an Iwata HP-C plus and I use createx straight out of the bottle. Apple barn needs thinning to a milky thickness for me.

I shoot at 20-40 psi and use all varieties of Createx straight, no thinning. I use templates for details like gills and craw legs but don't like tape because it makes for a very abrupt color change that doesn't look "natural" to me. If your paint splatters, you either have an airbrush problem (unlikely) or you are shooting at too high a pressure with too little control on the trigger. Paint wants to bounce off the side of the lure and settle downward. So when you paint the shoulders, rotate the top of the bait away from you somewhat so the paint bounces over the top of the lure and not down the side of the bait. Fine lines are shot at lower pressure, with fine trigger control and the airbrush held very close to the bait (closer than you think!). If you use the same setup with the brush held farther away, you get fine shading. Because different paint has different viscosity and shoots differently, I always test shoot on a piece of paper just before the crankbait so I know my finger is applying the right trigger control. Airbrushing takes learning a particular hand/eye coordination and experience to get the results you want. Don't be frustrated, you will continually get better!

Thanks guys for all help.......I am getting better. Now if I could just talk you guys out of your GPS waypoints

LOL