MadManz

Buying Hooks

Guys,

I am very new to pouring my own jigs, but I am looking forward to it. As I have looked around here is some serious talent here, and I was hoping for advice.

is there a chart or a formula to tell me a hook is the same as another hook? For example.... my mold calls for a Eagle Claw 570. What if I want to pour that hook in red but cant find the exact style in red?

Brand is not important as much as wanting the hooks for my molds to be black/red. I didn't want to have to order hooks off of 3 or 4 diffrent sites, so can anyone lend me a hand?

Thanks

Listen to cadman, he knows what he is talking about!!! Barlows is the only site online that lists alternative hooks for the Do-it molds so if you go there you'll find which hook styles and brands you can use, there is alway a hook or two that you will be able use that won't be listed but just ask and somebody should help you out.

Listen to cadman, he knows what he is talking about!!! Barlows is the only site online that lists alternative hooks for the Do-it molds so if you go there you'll find which hook styles and brands you can use, there is alway a hook or two that you will be able use that won't be listed but just ask and somebody should help you out.

I have called Barlows many times. They are very helpful. They have actually pulled hooks out of bags and tried them in the mold I needed it for.

This is from tjstackle.com

In an ongoing effort to serve your "Do-It-Yourself" jig making needs we have decided to carry Eagle Claw Jig hooks. Eagle Claw 570 aberdeen jig hooks are used in many popular models of jig molds. Please make sure you know exactly what hooks fit your mold. Caution: HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED!!

570 Hook Specs:

Aberdeen, Round Bend, Non-Offset, 90 Degree Leg, Bronzed Finish, Straight Point, Forged

The 570 hook is compatible with the following hooks:

Daiichi: 4660 (Bronze), 4663 (Red)

VMC: 9147 BZ

Mustad: 32756 (Bronze), 32755R(ed), 32746BLN (Black Nickel), 32746BR (Bronze), 37746R(ed), 32755 (Gold)

Matzuo: 9014 BN (Black Nickel), 9024 Bronze, 9044 Gold, 9064 Red

Gamakatsu: 604, 114(light wire)

Owner: 5318

I just ordered some of the Matzuo and eagle claw hooks from Captain hooks on Thursday morning and got them on Saturday

Flatsrat76

Great list of 90* jig hooks, but wanted to add that in my experience Gamakatsu 60x and Daiichi 466x are generally heavier wire with shorter legs than standard Aberdeen and might not interchange with EC 570 in certain sizes.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in Eagle Claw 570 jig hooks recently?

"MadManz" you may not be particular at this time but I would suggest that hook brands vary in quality. I used to choose the cheapest possible until I found out that often "you get what you pay for". On the other hand one can judge that expensive hooks simply aren't worth their prices.

http://www.captainhookswarehouse.com

That is the cheapest place you will find hooks on the internet.

there is another place http://www.shortyshooks.com they sale wholesale but you have to have a tax certificate to buy from them they are the absolute cheapest around as far as the 570 models i have found that a VMC9147 or 9147R (red hook) is the cheapest and best quality to go with. I also included a list of hooks that i have use in place of a 570

Sohumi 105

Sohumi 109 (red hook)

Mustad 32746BLN

Mustad 32746R (red hook)

Mustad 32831BLN (long shank)

VMC9147

VMC9147R (red hook)

I personally use the VMC and Sohumi because in my opinion they are good quality for the money but i have had customers request Mustad and they are good to just a little more expensive. I agree with the statement of you get what you pay for but if you go with any of these you cant go wrong. Also Captain Hook Warehouse had the best shipping prices .

Great list of 90* jig hooks, but wanted to add that in my experience Gamakatsu 60x and Daiichi 466x are generally heavier wire with shorter legs than standard Aberdeen and might not interchange with EC 570 in certain sizes.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in Eagle Claw 570 jig hooks recently?

"MadManz" you may not be particular at this time but I would suggest that hook brands vary in quality. I used to choose the cheapest possible until I found out that often "you get what you pay for". On the other hand one can judge that expensive hooks simply aren't worth their prices.

Be very careful of the Matzuo sickle hooks, they are a good hook but the quality control on them is terrible, my last 2 orders were both sent back and I'll never use them again unless they are given to me or I get a guarantee that they will all be useable, as I was saying, the last 2 batches of them were bad, about 1 out of every 4 were unuseable, thats way to high considereing I got 1 bad hook out of my last 4000 Mustads,big difference! As for the Eagle claw hooks being improved, they don't say if they did something different but I have the EL 111 BP EWG jig hook and it a really good hook for the price, it was very comperable to most manufacturers in sharpness and strength and I'm guessing that most of their producs aren't bad, I know the spinnerbait hooks they make are pretty good, if they made them with a little longer shank I'd use them for my baits.

Yes I like how barlows does the listing.

One thing I haven't figured out is what all the comments about improvements in Eagle Claw hooks??? I've never noticed any change in them and caught lots of fish on them. Now I also use Mustads, VMC's and I'm trying the Matzuo's. I've got a few Daiichi's that were sent to me, and I really wish True Turn made a jig hook with the cam action in it but they don't, that's how I got the Daiichi's.

Never heard of the Sohumi's, any more info would be appreciated!!

Fatman

'smalljaw", were the Sickle hooks repairable? I toss bend outs, but off center eyes & points can usually twist into proper alignment with pliers. Tedious, but I like the way Sickles stick & hold.

It does appear some of the newer BP(black pearl) finish EC jig hooks are an upgrade quality from the "classics", wondering if their Aberdeen hooks were improved as well.

Be very careful of the Matzuo sickle hooks, they are a good hook but the quality control on them is terrible, my last 2 orders were both sent back and I'll never use them again unless they are given to me or I get a guarantee that they will all be useable, as I was saying, the last 2 batches of them were bad, about 1 out of every 4 were unuseable, thats way to high considereing I got 1 bad hook out of my last 4000 Mustads,big difference! As for the Eagle claw hooks being improved, they don't say if they did something different but I have the EL 111 BP EWG jig hook and it a really good hook for the price, it was very comperable to most manufacturers in sharpness and strength and I'm guessing that most of their producs aren't bad, I know the spinnerbait hooks they make are pretty good, if they made them with a little longer shank I'd use them for my baits.

I am very happy with the Matzue sickle hooks that I have ordered and they fit my mold great that call for a eagle claw 570 hook but I have not ordered more then 250 per size at a time.

Flatsrat76

Edited by flatsrat76

I have been using the Matzuo Sickle bend hooks for atleast 4 years now. I havent had 20 bad ones total so far.

I buy mine by the 1000, have 2000 in stock now and just got done pouring 2000 4/0 and only had 2 bad ones.

Best part about it is I ended up with 2100 hooks, they always give you extras incase.

Paul