RayburnGuy

Dick Nite And Brush Cleanup

After deciding to try applying DN with an artists brush I'm having trouble with cleaning the brush. I've been using denatured alcohol for cleanup with D2T and Etex, but it doesn't seem to work so well with DN. Can someone point me in the right direction for a solvent to use for cleaning my nylon brushes after using them to apply DN? Should I be using a bristle (hair) brush instead of nylon? I tried doing a search, but didn't come up with anything.

thanks guys,

Ben

Edited by RayburnGuy

Maybe it's got something to do with the nylon brushes. The DN just seems to get gummy and I have to really scrub the heck out of them to get them clean. And they seem to want to curl up and get stiff. Maybe I need to try a brush with natural hair. Will have to buy one since I run the ex off years ago. lol

Thanks Jed

A natural hair brush and a little acetone should get it clean.

Exactly - the solvents in Top-Coat will dissolve plastics. So using natural hair (or, at least, not plastic of any kind) is the only way to go. Also, the plastic from the brush will contaminate the Top-Coat, with probable undesireable results...

Acetone and Lacquer Thinner are the best for clean-up.

Dick

Exactly - the solvents in Top-Coat will dissolve plastics. So using natural hair (or, at least, not plastic of any kind) is the only way to go. Also, the plastic from the brush will contaminate the Top-Coat, with probable undesireable results...

Acetone and Lacquer Thinner are the best for clean-up.

Dick

The only thing I have not tried is acetone............I have used denatured alcohol and lacquer thinner and neither of them work.They kind of work but not really and after several uses the bristles slowly stiffen up. The other problem I have run into is that many quality bristle brushes are held together with glue and after you place the brush in a solvent the glues begin to break down and the bristles start coming out. I have probably gone through 10 quality soft bristle brushes trying to figure this out................if anyone has a way of doing this please let me know.

Jed