dsmblack

Injectors

only if the molds are made for hand injectors. bear makes hand injection molds and del does also. i do not think bob sells them. i think i read you can have a nozzle made to fit hand pours but you may have to vent a hand pour mold for injectors.

I recently bought an injector and a couple molds from Bears. My question is, are the injectors compatable with other mold makers or sellers such as Del's or basstackle.com? I have the medium from Bears.

I believe you'll have to use Bears. Stick w/Bears-he'll give the straight scoop and good prices.He returns all phone messages promptly and that's a plus in this business w/suppliers and mold makers who won't return calls or e-mails

I am still pretty new to this but I do have injectors from bears and dels. And have molds from bears dels basstackle bobs jacobs and some custom made ones. To be honest I have injected all of them with both injectors and dont see a real problem. I have injected hand pour molds that came out just fine. Now in a hand pour some times you can not get through all the cavitys in one shot but you just reload. Now if I am missing something about what is the differance other than in an injection mold all the cavitys are one, Please enlighten me.On mold that the nozzle wont goe into I just rest it on top and press, it seems to me at least i get less mess when I do it on these molds than on the injection ones. As for the comment on customer service that DOES play a big part for me and the service from bears bobs and basstackle is second to none. That said I hope that you can be asured that you can mix and match to suite your needs without buying a bunch of injectors. All of you guys with more experiance please let me know if I am wrong on this as I do not really have any old molds that might not work. And is a nozzles fit really that important if you push till you feel resistance and stop?

I am still pretty new to this but I do have injectors from bears and dels. And have molds from bears dels basstackle bobs jacobs and some custom made ones. To be honest I have injected all of them with both injectors and dont see a real problem. I have injected hand pour molds that came out just fine. Now in a hand pour some times you can not get through all the cavitys in one shot but you just reload. Now if I am missing something about what is the differance other than in an injection mold all the cavitys are one, Please enlighten me.On mold that the nozzle wont goe into I just rest it on top and press, it seems to me at least i get less mess when I do it on these molds than on the injection ones. As for the comment on customer service that DOES play a big part for me and the service from bears bobs and basstackle is second to none. That said I hope that you can be asured that you can mix and match to suite your needs without buying a bunch of injectors. All of you guys with more experiance please let me know if I am wrong on this as I do not really have any old molds that might not work. And is a nozzles fit really that important if you push till you feel resistance and stop?

well i have over 100 hand pour molds and see no need to hand inject them. i was just stating what i read about hand pour molds. i have not tryed to inject a hand pour mold and most likely never will. but seems like it would be safer to have a nozzle that fits into the mold but hey thats just me. i have injector molds also and they work great but i have only seen hand injected molds on dels and bears site so maybe i am wrong won`t be the first time. just go a hand inject tube mold from bear and it is sweet. :o:o:o

but seems like it would be safer to have a nozzle that fits into the mold but hey thats just me.

Totally agree.

Yes you can use any injector to push plastic into any mold. But if the nozzle isn’t IN the top of the mold your odds of squiring hot plastic on things such as skin tremendously increase.

Let’s face it. This isn’t rocket science. You’re pouring hot melted plastic. It can be dangerous. To limit those dangers you do whatever you can to narrow the odds. For hand injecting having the proper fit nozzle tip into the mold where it’s protecting you from squiring hot plastic is a must in my book. I have done hand injecting using multiple vendors products. No it wasn’t a problem. After I found it worked fine I pushed out a bunch. When I was into a batch keeping multiple colors at the right temps I pushed a little too much and squired plastic 2 foot out of each side with very little effort. Could have easily gone on my face if it shot up instead of out.

Modified every mold next day to fit the injector. They all work great. Had to add a block on one mold per no material to drill out and open up a few gates to vent more air out quicker on a couple but I now have eliminated yet another possible way to burn myself.

You can get bolts off by beating the hell out of them with a small open end and a hammer but a nice socket wrench works much better. Right tools for the right job.

And take it from a repeat offender. WEAR GLOVES when injecting!!!!

Jay

just googled jacobs baits and found a ebay store. just ordered a crappie bait hand injected mold. hmmmmm so there are other people out there. :blink::blink::blink::blink:

Yes I have a mold like the one you ordered but the inlet is very small but it injects well with dels or bears injector. I just set the nozzle on top and it seals so so .And search a little more and you will find even more great molds from smaller co. just like him. It would be nice to have a standard nozzle but that is a dream that will never come true. That said I guess that we will just have to modify what we have and go from there.

Artificial, I do agree that the safety is not good and I dont agree with the way I am doing this. I have a mold that is custom made hand pour,and it does not pour well but it does inject way better. It has a narrow spot near the tail so pouring is almost impossible. That is the reason that I tried it . Like I said I am still new at this so I am still learning. Once I feel a little pressure I stop pressing so spraying hot plastic has not happened to me yet.

Yes I have a mold like the one you ordered but the inlet is very small but it injects well with dels or bears injector. I just set the nozzle on top and it seals so so .And search a little more and you will find even more great molds from smaller co. just like him. It would be nice to have a standard nozzle but that is a dream that will never come true. That said I guess that we will just have to modify what we have and go from there.

Artificial, I do agree that the safety is not good and I dont agree with the way I am doing this. I have a mold that is custom made hand pour,and it does not pour well but it does inject way better. It has a narrow spot near the tail so pouring is almost impossible. That is the reason that I tried it . Like I said I am still new at this so I am still learning. Once I feel a little pressure I stop pressing so spraying hot plastic has not happened to me yet.

yea i was disappointed with the mold. he said the injectors on the market would fit his molds. well my bears injector does not fit. i did use mine and it works but wish the port was bigger.

i looked up jacob baits to, and his store is 15 minutes away from my house. I will have to go check him out sometime

tyler tell him he is misrepresenting his molds saying they will fit most injectors on the market. never seen one that small. with that being said they are top notch made molds.

yea i was disappointed with the mold. he said the injectors on the market would fit his molds. well my bears injector does not fit. i did use mine and it works but wish the port was bigger.

That is what I mean that port is not even close but some sort of standard would be nice. I am going to taper mine to get some sort of fit. I asked if he makes his molds and replyed that he did. Dont know why he only sells on ebay though. I wonder where he gets his injectors from? It is kinda hard to make a differant nozzle for every mold.

That is what I mean that port is not even close but some sort of standard would be nice. I am going to taper mine to get some sort of fit. I asked if he makes his molds and replyed that he did. Dont know why he only sells on ebay though. I wonder where he gets his injectors from? It is kinda hard to make a differant nozzle for every mold.

i contacted jacob and he said his molds are made to fit janscraft injectors. i have never used one but i heard they are not to safe.

Hey Frank I saw this on another board it may give you some direction to go in with your mold issues:

http://www.bearsbait...hp?topic=1775.0

Frank, I may be mistaken, but I think he is just selling off some of his old molds. I believe he may use an injection machine, but can't say for sure.

Edited by jimcline

Well i have used the janns injector for a while and just now switched off of it. It is not a very good injector and its cheap and doesnt hold up long. I have an injector that would fit his molds that my dad made but that is custom i have no idea how anyone could buy one to fit that type of mold. I do hear of alot of people using glue guns to make plastics around here, maybe he makes them for that. It seems to me he is making them and selling them because he has a site where he sells them directly too. I dont think ill ever buy from him his molds dont look that great to me and he is pricey. He probably has a cnc machine he has access to and came up with a couple designs. I tried to see if he had a store but he doesnt he his all online based but i may be able to meet him sometime

here is his site http://www.jacobsbaits.com/

Edited by tylerd1994

I have used bears med injector on SC injection molds. Shawns ports are small too but the molds had enough meat that I drilled out the port to match bears injector. I was using a metal ear syringe from ebay, that was the only metal injector with a small port that I could find. Bears injector is much easier to use than the syringe since it will push a larger volume of plastic quicker.

Hey Frank I saw this on another board it may give you some direction to go in with your mold issues:

http://www.bearsbait...hp?topic=1775.0

Thanks for that . The thought had crossed my mind but I figured a taper would be easier. Like a cone/counter sink type thing.

If he is selling used molds they are well taken care of. If you want one of his molds he has them up for bid alot and almost never gets the buy it now price.

I have a few that do not fit as well (I have Del's injector) and some hand poured molds I wanted to inject safely. I took Dave's (Vodkaman's) idea and used it.

Make a small adapter for your molds out of rtv. Simple to do, cheap to make and you can make any size you need...

Just a thought if you are squeamish about drilling them out or if you want to sell the mold later on and do not want to alter the original mold.

Jim

Edited by ghostbaits

As for the taper pic the hole in the jacobs is even smaller than the hole in my injector(bear or dels) so I have to taper both.

The anwser to Ghost post seems to be pretty simple never though of that. And yes I DO NOT want to drill my molds. See another guy that injects a hand pour. Some times it is just easier or more consistant.

the ports on jacobs molds are about the size of a straw you get in school for your milk. he said his molds would fit most hand injectors. he was very mileading. i like the baits his molds make for crappie fishing. would by i few more if the ports were bigger, :(

At the beginning of this post boy did I feel like the odd man out admitting that I use an injector on a hand pour mold. Now that I look around for a smaller injector what do I see, An injector that is designed for a hand pour mold on Dels site. Now I did not ask for it so there must be some kind of demand from closet injector guys. Just made me feel a little better but I did have a reason to do it that way. I do not have one but it does say that the nozzle fits his hand pour molds and that means it is smaller than the other ones out there.

At the beginning of this post boy did I feel like the odd man out admitting that I use an injector on a hand pour mold. Now that I look around for a smaller injector what do I see, An injector that is designed for a hand pour mold on Dels site. Now I did not ask for it so there must be some kind of demand from closet injector guys. Just made me feel a little better but I did have a reason to do it that way. I do not have one but it does say that the nozzle fits his hand pour molds and that means it is smaller than the other ones out there.

I wonder if that hand pour injector from del would work on bears molds? That might be the long lost universal injector.