mainbutter

No Real Good Forum For This - How To Make Fish Hooks?

I want to make my own fish hooks, preferably without containing modern materials.

This is mostly just for fun, but yeah I'd love to actually give a try at fishing with them too.

Does anyone have any idea about materials and how to go about it?

"The Fly-Fisher's Craft The Art and History" by Darrell Martin, Chapter 5 (I think) is the authority on making fish hooks yourself. He gives step by step instructions. I can't find my copy or I would be more specific. In the old days it took quite a slew of heating/cooling equipment but today heat/quenching can be accomplished using very small and inexpensive equipment. Today a small but active group of hook makers make blind eye salmon hooks that were made back in the 1700 and 1800s.

Per Gary Cumro of GAC Design Inc., the authority on hand made large hooks, before you make your hooks, you must make your jigs and fixtures. And before you make your jigs and fixtures, you need to decide on single, double or treble hook, type of bend, type of eye, length of shank, special shank bends and whether or not to forge the hook. Your jig and fixture design should comprehend your hook proportionality.

You will also need special hook steel. If you will make some hooks for me of my design, I may be able to get you small coils of several diameters of fish hook steel. If you want me to quote you, contact me.

Two other bits of advice: don't copy fish hooks sold today that are protected by patents, copyrights, etc. and test your hook strength against comparable hooks.

Good luck!

John

"The Fly-Fisher's Craft The Art and History" by Darrell Martin, Chapter 5 (I think) is the authority on making fish hooks yourself. He gives step by step instructions. I can't find my copy or I would be more specific. In the old days it took quite a slew of heating/cooling equipment but today heat/quenching can be accomplished using very small and inexpensive equipment. Today a small but active group of hook makers make blind eye salmon hooks that were made back in the 1700 and 1800s.

My advice is to search the history references. I've seen pictures of bone, wood, rock, and teeth made into fish hooks, but I forget where. Also there were snares.

Sorryfor the revision, I mis-read your original post.

Good luck!

John

OK, if you want to use "natural materials" just like our ancestors - say, 30 thousand years ago - check out some archaeological stuff online about ancient maritime cultures. Directions - drag the jawbone of the whale into the cave. Using sharp rocks, cut and beat on that sucker until it looks vaguely like a giant hook.